Fresh Install - What about the CPU

By bman2005
May 21, 2007
  1. Morning All-

I am hitting the forum circuits hoping that I can find the problem I am running in to.

Question. I have done a fresh install of OS and apps. My questions are:

1) What PI (1m) time should I be seeing? Currently I am reaching 38.408s. Folks from the FSX forum that I belong to say this is a horrible time.

This leads me to my next question

2) What utilities and drivers should I install for a fresh install? I haven't installed anything from my Mobo disc other than the SM Bus Driver. There is nothing specific for the CPU however. As I look on the AMD site there are dual core drivers for XP and an optimizer - Do I need to install these?

Here are my computer specs:

ASUS - A8N-SLI
    AMD - 4400+ Toledo X2
    Corsaire - 2GB ram (3200)
    8800 GTS (640mb)
    SB Audigy Platinum ZS
    10k Raptor Hd (74mb)
    Seagate 7200 (320gb)
    22" Hanns G LCD
    19 Ben-Q LCD
    Generic DVD-r/w

Ultimately, I am getting benchmark scores where they need to be 3dMark06 is around 8000. However, the FPS for the game I am playing (FSX) is very memory intensive and is obviously bottlenecking the operation. I have concerns that I haven't done something to get the true potential of the CPUs up to speed.

Here is a link to the forum that I have made posts to. If you can help me out in any way I would really appreciate your time. I have a hard time believing that my CPU should be performing like a 4 year old machine. I think I have been installing (or not installing) something wrong ever since my initial build last fall.*****=20#entry1416528

Thanks in advance for you time-

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

1. I have no idea what PI is....

2. You should download all drivers from the manufactuer websites for all devices in your system. Generally a windows update will find most of them for you.
  3. bman2005

bman2005 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

Sorry - I should have been a little more clear.

Super PI is a CPU measuring benchmark. I think it simply computes PI to a specific number of decimal places depending on what you select. 1M (1 million are the places it calculates to) - it takes my CPU 38 seconds

Drivers and utilies - I meant to say specifically to the mobo and processor drivers.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.