'Friday the 13th: The Game' delayed in order to add single-player mode

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Two movie franchises dominated the horror genre in the ‘80s and ‘90s – A Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th starring Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees, respectively. One would think that after more than three decades, audiences would have lost interest but a recent Kickstarter proves that’s not the case at all.

Gun Media last year managed to raise more than $800,000 to fund the creation of Friday the 13th: The Game. The title was originally slated to arrive this month although a fresh campaign update reveals that won’t be the case.

Although the campaign did meet its primary funding goal of $700,000, it fell short of its $1.625 million stretch goal that would have added a single-player survival challenge mode. The development team has since decided to go ahead and create the single-player mode with offline play and AI bots after all.

Naturally, adding in a whole new experience takes time. As such, the game is being pushed back from its fall 2016 release window until the spring of next year. In the interim, you can always check out Mortal Kombat X where you can play as Jason courtesy of the Horror Pack DLC.

This won’t be the first video game based on the Crystal Lake terror. In 1989, developer Atlus put out Friday the 13th for the Nintendo Entertainment System. To say the game was bad would be an understatement as many consider it one of the worst video games of all-time.

Permalink to story.

Delayed to add single player this close to release? Sounds like the people got what we all wanted - To play as Jason and brutally kill campers. I thought it already had a single player option. I mean, it's Jason.

Delayed to add single player this close to release? Sounds like the people got what we all wanted - To play as Jason and brutally kill campers. I thought it already had a single player option. I mean, it's Jason.

lol still, cant be any worse than the original on NES. and no Shawn, we consider ET on NES to be the worst game of all time. lol

lol still, cant be any worse than the original on NES. and no Shawn, we consider ET on NES to be the worst game of all time. lol

I didnt even realize they made ET for the NES. I figured they would of stopped after it tanked on the Atari 2600.

Back