Fried Dell Dimension 3000 HDD and transplant

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbrat41

My son's computer.
-Dell Dimension 3000 purchased in July 2005
-HDD went South (Samsung 40 Gb) per Dell's diagnostics and tech during a "tech "chat"" (out of warranty, ours to fix)
-remover th Samsung HDD
-installed a GOOD Western Digital HDD 60 Gb preloaded w/ XP Home Ed.,SP1, SP2, and Panda InternetSecurity Siute ( my back up HDD)
-will only boot to the windows choices screen ( safe mode, safe mode w/ command prompt, start windows normally, etc.
-none of these choices result in anything but being returned to the same screen of choices Seems to hang at the same place, a command line dealing with mup (???) and drivers
1st Question becomes
What do I do to get this ____ thing to boot to windows ?
Can the BIOS be flashed with a NON DELL command set,new BIOS chip?
Mobo carries these markings
-RU (R is backward) us E210882 DS/NA CN-OK8980-70821-51F-4260:c/o CN AA C92755-301 Rev A02 (BIOS rev ....)
At this point my greatest desire is to remove all things Dell ( CMOS, BIOS, etc) that prevent me from getting into this comp' like i can MY CyberPower.
ANY help is GREATLY appreciated and will help to re-establish my position as a Hero in my 18 year old son's eyes ( very important)
Thank you

Have you tried just putting a clean drive in and doing a clean xp install? I assume the 3000 does come with a xp disc, and not a "recovery partition" built into the hd.

It doesn't really work well to just transfer one hd from one pc to the next, as the pc's are different. If the pc's were the same or very similar a transfer would probably work. If you have an xp cd for the xp on the 60gb drive you tried, you could try a "repair install".
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

I doubt you can get any hacked bios's for that model, although it could be possible. You could get a new motherboard, like this, it's what I put in my dell, when I upgraded to get an agp slot. I like it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128222
It does take some work to replace a motherboard though, as you have to take almost everything out of the case.

fried HDD, ____ Dell

This comp'r came w/ the restore partition and NO disk. The XP on the "new"drive is a copy of my shrink wrap Win XP (only until Dell sends us an XP disk).
____ Dell. I have switched HDD in comp'rs (Non-proprietary , Not Dell, Compaq, Gateway , HP etc.) with NO problems.
A new Mobo is a possibility but, I would like to explore the BIOS revision completely before I spend those bucks.
Thanks

moving a hard drive to another machine with the same or similar chipset usually isnt aproblem but going from one chipset to a completely different chipset usually results in what you are describing. When windows is installed it creates the HAL ( hardware abstraction layer ) that is specific to the hardware ont he machine windows is being installed on. you could try doing a repair install to solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back