Fried mobo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i took out my ram put a heat spreader on and was'nt paying attention puttting it back in due to numerous distractions anyways, my ram has the fry marks on it ,,, two black spots,looks like its scraped,
brnram.jpg

so i got another stick of ram to get me through till thursday but my computer wont boot,

i think i fired my mobo. but someone suggested i fried my cpu , is this possible ?
how screwed am I ?

Hi cursed and welcome to TechSpot :)

fried CPU = unlikely - fried mobo = possible

also, your RAM may simply be incompatible. what are your system specs (exact CPU model, exact mobo make and model, exact RAM make and model)

the RAM stick that you got as a temporary replacement may not be compatible with your computer. especially if it's OEM/branded PC

nah the ram i got is fine, my puter was built up so i had 1gig ddr400 the temp ram is 512ddr400, that does;nt address my non beeping non booting situation

just because it is DDR400 does not mean that it is compatible. as Tedster has mentioned in other threads, some mobos are very picky about RAM and you don't always get a beep code with incompatible RAM, sometimes it just won't boot.

you say that it "won't boot"... well what does it do? when you power on the computer does anything happen? (i.e. do the fans spin up?)

also, it would seem obvious... but you said how distracted you were when you installed the RAM. is it possible that you simply forgot to switch the PSU on? or to plug it back in? (assuming you unplugged it and/or turned it off in the first place ;))

KingCody said:
just because it is DDR400 does not mean that it is compatible. as Tedster has mentioned in other threads, some mobos are very picky about RAM and you don't always get a beep code with incompatible RAM, sometimes it just won't boot.

you say that it "won't boot"... well what does it do? when you power on the computer does anything happen? (i.e. do the fans spin up?)

also, it would seem obvious... but you said how distracted you were when you installed the RAM. is it possible that you simply forgot to switch the PSU on? or to plug it back in? (assuming you unplugged it and/or turned it off in the first place ;))

i'm not a retard. yes the fans spin up the psu is fine , there is no beep, it's all plugged in , yeah your no help at all................

I think he was just trying to help.. it does help to ask basic questions, because they save embarassment in the long run ;)

Have you tried some other RAM yet (after Thursday)? As said before, i think it is fairly unlikely that the mobo was fried..

yes i pulled the battery disconnected the power supply, and let it sit, i put the new ram in and powered it up and ....................nothing , not a ****ing thing, cpu fan ran case fan ran no post beeps, nothing registering to the moniter nothing

if the case fan came on then your mobo is still funticonal to some degeree but could still be faulty.
you should be nicer to these people they are volunteering their services to you they do not have to help you...
what else can you tell us about your ram?? how many pins, sdram pc-bus speed manf.
the cpu is fine if the cpu fan is on. maby check your video/ vid card key board mouse any thing that might through an error in the post test just to see if you can get a sucessful post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back