Fried Motherboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Hello. I was recently overclocking a P166 to 200 mhZ. It worked fine, but I decided to try a more conservative setting, so I turned off the computer returned the multiplier from 3x to 2.5x and overclocked the FSB from 66mhZ to 75 mhZ. When I turned the computer on, the computer wouldn't display anything on the monitor. I turned off the computer and returned the FSB from 75mhZ to 66mhZ. When I turned it on, it still wouldn't display anything. I NEED HELP! I already know that the monitor still works, but I have no IDEA if anything else still works. I want to know your opinion of what happened. I have limited the problem to three things:

1.) The graphics card isn't working.
2.) The motherboard is gone.
3.) The processor is gone.

If it helps, I know the system specs of the computer. Since I built it myself, it doesn't have a brand.

NOTE: This system was assembled sometime around 1995-96. IT STILL WORKED PRIOR TO THE MESS-UP, SO I KNOW THE PROBLEM ISN'T DUE TO OLD AGE.

Motherboard: Amptron PM-8800 (don't know specifics)
Monitor: MAG Innovision 770FS
CPU: Intel Pentium Classic 166mhZ
Graphics Card: Trident Microsystems TGUI9680 1MB VRAM
Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster 16 Plug and Play
Memory: 80MB EDO RAM (don't know speed or rows)

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! :mad: :( :dead: :confused: :eek:

I would disconnect everything from the motherboard, all cables, RAM, CPU, PCI & ISA cards ... everything. Then reset the motherboard, better yet, remove the battery for about 10 minutes or more.

Put the battery back in, try it again with 2.5 X 66MHz. If you go through POST, enter BIOS and load the defaults then change settings as you like.

BTW, there is nothing “conservative” about going from 66MHz FSB to 75MHz FSB!
Run at 2.5 X 75MHz or 2.5 X 83MHz.

I go to Lake Orion MI often; I should bring you one of many 233MHz MMXs I have.

Thank You! But I Still Need A Little Help!

Thanks. I'll try that idea. By the way, is there any way that I can upgrade that computer in terms of drivers? I REALLY WANT TO MAKE IT AS NEW AS POSSIBLE... Also, is there a site where I can get manuals for these parts? I don't have any original manuals. Also, WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY RESET THE MOTHERBOARD?!
:bounce: :rolleyes: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back