Friends computer. LITTERED with infections!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjbrand99

Hi there.

So my m8 is a bit of a n00b and he ased me to fix his computer after he noticed it was running very slow.

So, I installed Spybot. AVG pro, ad-aware pro, registryfix 5.5 and CCleaner.
I ran them all..... an cleared up literally thousands of problems. Re-ran them all to find that it had done the trick.

He had HUNDEREDS of background processes running on his computer, practicly every program set to run on start-up, and his disk was fragmented like a b***h.

So i defragged' for a while and did other things like uninstall LOADS of unneeded programs, deleted many things using HijackThis. (I do no what to delete that is safe etc.)

HOWEVER, It is still lagging alot and I need to ask if there is anything else I can find to remove or see if I can do anymore.

SPECS:

MS XP sp 2
Intel cenrtino Duo T2400 @ 1.83 GHz
1gb RAM
Nvida GeForce Go 7400

Cheers!

I had already changed Hijackthis to a random name. I had done a Trend m scan and the Panda online. Both came up with nothing. Ran all the tools. Everything else already done.

I think it is more of a case of processes and lag in the computer.

Regards

i can't see anything either in the log. howard will most llikely look at it too.
just how many processes are running, and do you know how to stop them via msconfig?

Yes. I stopped ALL in msconfig on start-up, just leaving a few that he needed that were MS-based.

ATM he has 32, as opposed to the 80 before i started cleaning!

If you read my first post, you wouldn't have sent me to that Cleaning thred because I have done all of those things and mentioned them. Then I mentioned that I had defragged.

In fact I defragged a few times between restarts.

Here's my opinion:
STOP all autoupdaters, redundant and can be performed manually
SOME services are just a waste of time {igfxsrvc,ctfmon}
I distain all IM programs; your choices may be different
Code:
$ egrep "<\?|disable" hjthis.log.txt
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe        <<disable as unnecessary
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe          <<disable as unnecessary
C:\Documents and Settings\Anthony Barker\Desktop\Programs\RunThis.exe.exe <<???is this Hijackthis.exe ?

these autoupdates are unnecessary -- perform updates manually
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll  <<disable
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe"  <<disable

>>disable O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe << disable
>>disable O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683}- C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
>>disable O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

<?A?> O16 - DPF: {E87F6C8E-16C0-11D3-BEF7-009027438003} (Persits Software XUpload) - [url]http://upload-v5.streamload.com/Upload/XUpload.ocx[/url]

>>disable O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll

<?B?> O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd)- Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe" -d -f "%ProgramFiles%\WinPc
ap\rpcapd.ini (file missing)

<?A?> if you installed XUpload.ocx to upload data to a webserver, fine, otherwise DELETE IT via Spybot S&D
<?B?> if you installed this fine, otherwise uninstall / disable this is frequently part of Ethereal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back