"From CD: BOOT FAILURE, INSERT DISC TO BOOT"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroCount

Ok, I just built my first computer last night, and everything went great! I hooked everything up nice and neat, made sure all the connections were tight, and then I read the Manuel before I turned it on to know what to expect.

Sure enough, the manual says, "If one short beep occurs, then the installation was a success and no errors have been detected."

Well, that is the beep that I got, thank God!!

After the beep, the screen then shows the diagnostics of what is in the computer. at the bottom of the screen it says "Press F1 to Continue or F2 to go into setup." So I pressed F1, and then the screen comes up, and shows all of my hardware like my HD's and it saying, "Capability ... DISABLED." on both.

Then on the bottom of the screen it says, "From CD: BOOT FAILURE, INSERT DISC TO BOOT"

Well, I live with my parents and to say the least, they were not pleased, because they said this system, was going to turn into a money hole. I personally am proud of myself for doing EVERYTHING right, and am very disappointed that this is happening. After I told my parents the Error, they said I shouldn’t touch it until I’m done with school (I am still going to work on it when you guys give me some ideas). So, the other computer I have, the dreaded Compaq, I put jus the basics back in, the PSU that came with my new case, a stick of RAM, and once HD that has my OS on it.

Then I had the idea that the “Disc” that the computer wanted was my Motherboard drivers CD, so, once again, I took my HD out of the Compaq and put it into my new case to try it, then it give me another error. “Disc read failure.” But I am almost positive that the Drivers disc is what I need to use, but my ROM wont read it! So, if you guys could help me, I’d be most appreciative.

I have WINDOWS XP on my Hard Drive, so I shouldn’t need the XP disc because I talked to 3 guys at Geek Squad that said I didn’t, or do they not know crap?

Please, tell me what to do! I am using my OLD HD's, but I know that they are compatible. The reason I didn't tinker around is I don't want my HD's being wiped off somehow.

Ok guys, thanks a million!!

NOTE: This topic is also in the Modding thread.

Insert your XP Cd and run a windows repair on your computer.

Also, make sure your HDD is being detected by your system. You should be able to see you hard drive listed in the bios. (Is it an IDE drive or SATA)?

(ps. I deleted your other identical thread. No need for two as it just confuses things)

Are your hard drives showing up in your bios?

If they are, then make sure the HDD is listed as a boot device.

ZeroCount said:
So I pressed F1, and then the screen comes up, and shows all of my hardware like my HD's and it saying, "Capability ... DISABLED." on both.

How do I make them a boot device, I am sure they ar,e but if not, how?

The quote above is what my comp shows.. I'll check BIOS in a few hours.

You will see a list of available bootable devices such as floppy, CD, HDD etc. Make sure that HDD is in that list (I usually set floppy as first, CD/DVD as second, then HDD as third).

I don't think this will solve your problem though. When XP goes to load up, it is going to try and load all the motherboard/system drivers from your OLD system, and crash (most likely).

A windows repair is usually able to fix this, but if you don't have the XP cd, your hands are tied.

As for that program you linked to, I have no idea if it will work or not. I have always had my own XP cd...

Do you by chance have your XP serial number? If so, you can borrow anyone else's XP cd and use it to do the repair.

Yeah, you need the XP cd. Without it, you can do nothing :unch: puke:

Normally, when I change people´s motherboards, I normally format the HDD and everything works perfect.

I dont have MY SN, but my dad has his on the Emachines. Will that work for my computer and my XP OS??

Or will that just screw something else up? Where would I find the SN on my comp? It's not on the case, Damn you Compaq!

wolfram said:
Yeah, you need the XP cd. Without it, you can do nothing :unch: puke:

Normally, when I change people´s motherboards, I normally format the HDD and everything works perfect.

How do you format them?

ZeroCount said:
I dont have MY SN, but my dad has his on the Emachines. Will that work for my computer and my XP OS??

I think you need the physical CD. Only that way you could format the PC.

ZeroCount said:
Where would I find the SN on my comp? It's not on the case, Damn you Compaq!

Check your manuals, and everything that came with your PC.

Good luck!

A serial number is only valid for ONE computer, and it is specific to that one computer. If you try and use the serial number from one PC on another, you'll get a message from XP saying to contact microsoft. It works on a score system. If you upgrade ONLY your cpu, then you get X points, if you upgrade CPU and motherboard you get X points and so on.

You have upgraded an entire system, so it will likely tell you to call microsoft to explain why so much hardware has changed.

ZeroCount said:

MS could call that software piracy... :knock: puke: :unch:

Yeah, I tried to do that with my old gateway machine. I called Microsoft and they refused to give me a new CD key :mad:

So I had to use a friend´s Xp cd and make it work that way.

Dang... I looked through all my COmpaq stuff, (EVERYTHING it came with) and no SN for Microsoft XP.... Man this is so frustrating.. SO if I buy a NEW Windows XP OS, will it affect my system? or should I just go ahead and get it?

BTW, how to you format your HD's?

You can use any XP cd, it is the serial number you need. If you buy a new XP cd, of course that will get you the serial number you need.

You could then attempt the repair function to see if you can use your existing hard drive data without loosing anything. If that fails, then you'll have to reinstall, and this will erase all info on your hard drive.

You could install your hard drive in another (working) machine and set it as the slave, then copy any important data from it if you need to.

BTW, how to you format your HD's?
When you install the XP cd, it will ask you if you want to format the disk.

I found my Serial Number!!!! WOOT! I'm so happy!

Now to find someone I can mooch/borrow the CD off of.. Hmmm..

Then you´re out of luck until you get the XP cd............ :knock: :knock: :knock: :knock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back