from fast to slow LAN introducing new 'puter

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everyone
I Just got a new room-mate & the three of us share an LAN.
The new roommate's got a top-of the-line model with all the bells & whistles, meanwhile I'm running a Pentium rII processor.
96MB RAM.... Windows 98se

Before the new guy plugged in & turned on -- I was avg d/l's at 50kps using Bell Sympatico HS edition-- 50+k=AVG!
Now I max out at 5kps, my avg is 3kps -- I haven't seen anything more than 10 kps since he moved in & turned on. -- when he does turn-off which is never -- the speed goes back to normal... but that kind of drop in performance is too much don't you agree? It's a ridiculous drop in performance.. At this rate, I'd be better off with dial-up & a 15k modem!

I've never had this problem with any other room-mate's, or my consistant room-mate EVER in the past -- what's going on?

a) How can I speed things up on this LAN, it's driving me crazy -- I can go take a crap & come back before a page gets downloaded! HELP!

b) Could the new neighbor be using his computer as a supernode? etc?

c) How can I combat this situation?

ANY help is greatly appreciated... aside from the assumed "Upgrade yer 'puter" -- there's no way I can compete with this new guy's computer -- it's outrageous -- it's the kind you see in police busts.

please
thank's for the help
sharpie

is anyone else on the network experiencing the same problem? Are you using a hub rather than a router?(though it shouldn't slow that much) Maybe he is hogging all the bandwidth by hosting a server of some kind. You might need to limit the bandwidth on the network and split it evenly among the users.

actually, a friend of mine told me to buy a new ethernet card, because the one he's got is probably a 100pcm (or something like that)
And that's why he's super-sucking the life out of everyone else's computer.

I don't think thats it. Your NIC can transfer and recieve data way faster than you can get it from your ISP.

As you're using Win98 are you using TCP/IP for your network or just your ISP? Are you using NetBEUI for your network and TCP/IP for your ISP? Just something else to try...

we sorted out the problem, he was hogging all the bandwidth, and he was using his PC as a supernode, he voluntarily limited his outgoing files to 10kps... which is fine.

The reason he was able to suck up all the bandwidth was due to his 100pcm card which is on his motherboard... I suppose if three computers are competing for bandwidth this type of ethernet connection pushes everyone else out of the way because it can.

I'm running windows 98, but will soon be going to XP since microsoft will no longer be making updates for windows 9x

I tried a program called Webroot's Accelerate, and though it's a neat program, I didn't notice that it helped to speed things up any.

thank's for all your help and input everyone.

sharpie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back