From T5550 to X7900. Is it possible?

Hello!
I am the proud owner of MSI EX700 which has served me well for almost 4 years now. With applications and games getting more complex I am looking to turn the power up a notch.
This is my current config:

CPU: Intel T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
Chipset: Intel PM965 @ 667 MHz (Supports up to 800 MHz)
RAM: 4GB Corsair
HDD: Sata 250GB @ 5400 rpm
Video: Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS 256mb

I am looking to upgrade the CPU to Intel X7900 @ 2.8 GHz. I know the chipset supports the new cpu but I am not sure if the motherboard can handle the increase in power consumption.

I can't post links on here yet so google the two CPUs to see their specs from Intel if you want.

Has anyone done this upgrade before? Any suggestions on how to figure out if I'm going to fry the MB or not?

The CPU change won't help much at all... Have you maxed out the memory? You could install a 7200 rpm hard drive. You are not in the USA are you?

No, I'm not in the US. I am in the UK. Actually I have installed the T9300 which is slightly slower that the X7900 but has more cache and uses a lot less power, and there is a huge increase in performance from the T5550. The 7200 rpm HDD will barely make a difference except for booting since I do not use applications that need more than my 4GB of RAM. And yes, this is the maximum the chipset can handle.
IMO if one is to decide between the X7900 and the T9300, the latter one is much better for a laptop. Besides the Extreme version gets way too hot.

Okay thanks for the information. I'm sure it will be helpful to others here who visit. Good luck ;)

X7900

Im on the same boat currently have a T7700 and just bought a X7900(on the way) my guess is that is possible but I am not sure how the heat sink will hold the extra heat . I originally started with a T7100 and it was a huge improvement, I also upgraded the HHD to 7200. The only problem I have now is how to overclock the X7900 because my VAIO doesn't support the feature I am hoping that there is a software for it. I dont think I can upgrade to Penryn from Merom on my Sony due to the BIOS but I would like to someday.

I am pretty sure you can go with the T9300 as long as you have the PM/GM965 chipset it runs much cooler than the X7900

Back