TechSpot

From the future: check for STDs by peeing on your phone

By Emil
Nov 10, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. The embarrassment of going to a clinic to get tested for Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) may one day be easily avoidable. Testing may soon require only a computer chip and a place to pee on one. In an attempt to cut the UK's rising rates of various herpes, chlamydia, and gonorrhea, British health officials say that STDs will soon be diagnosable by placing urine or saliva on a computer chip and plugging it into a cell phone or computer.

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

I don't know whether to laugh or be amazed at the technology for this.

3. taea00

taea00 TS Enthusiast Posts: 102

This doesn't sound very sanitary. Why not just have hot spots that you can plug your chip into that'll sound it out. I'm sorry I'm not putting something I peed on onto something I put my mouth near.

4. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

^This.

5. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 900   +15

this doesn't sound very hygienic. at least they should've come out with something like the pregnancy test pen.

6. gLitCh32

gLitCh32 TS Rookie Posts: 16

Exactly! Maybe we should use something else instead of phones? How about your personal computer, I can't imagine that you would need to check yourself out so often it needs to be on your phone.

7. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

Oh come on, its just connecting a cable to the phone.

Its not quite the same as peeing on your phone and then using it afterwards is it? :haha:

8. lawfer

It doesn't say that in the article. It simply mentions the inclusion of a chip in the market to make the test more accessible.

Now, if such chip will be a standalone portable device you can use at home, then the idea is certainly welcome. But what the article is implying --if not saying-- is that such chip (which you will have to pee onto) will be somehow attached to the phone for what I assume is, "portability." And that is unsanitary.

9. cardriverx

cardriverx TS Rookie Posts: 82

Define unsanitary. Your piss is more sanitary than your phones surface.

10. Leeky

@Cardriverx

I think its fairly safe to assume you'll be connecting it via a cable - Thats how you connect pretty much all computer devices of one description or another. Its rather obvious such a system wouldn't be even remotely used should your assumption be the case.

I cannot see phone manufacturers giving up space to insert a "real" card of any size for the purpose of urine evaluation - If only due to the risk of water damage. It would have to be a separate system.

11. hassaan

hassaan TS Rookie Posts: 90

What the heck? I'm actually short of words here.

12. lawfer

Is this a joke?

13. Leeky

It wouldn't surprise me, our phones get around a fair bit. :haha:

14. AbsolutGaloot

AbsolutGaloot TS Rookie Posts: 92

I can just imagine the tech support calls:

"um, my phone's not working anymore, I used it for an STD test"
    "sorry, we don't cover pee damage for incorrect testing procedure"

15. frodough

frodough TS Rookie Posts: 90

haha this makes me think of that pregnancy detector commercial saying: "the most expensive piece of technology you will ever pee on" i think that must have inspired developers, but hey - developers developer developers right? :)

16. sMILEY4ever

sMILEY4ever TS Booster Posts: 158

LOL.

Phone+pee=bad combo

17. lawfer

I guess so.

I do know the urine-is-just-1%-bacteria-99%-water thing, but would you seriously splash your face with urine, or use your phone as you normally do?

They say ignorance is bliss since we can't see the bacteria on the phones, but I assure you I prefer talking on the phone than the former.

18. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 669

Actually, he's right. Urine is sterile.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine

But it does stink and I doubt anyone is ever going to be marketing a phone you pee on. It's just sensationalism in the press to get you to read the article. The sad thing though, is that if the chip does come to fruition, that it'll create a false sense of security as there's many STD's that cannot be detected via urine. Hopefully they'll make that abundantly clear for those that buy the future products.

19. fish4specs

fish4specs TS Rookie Posts: 40

Hope said phones have antivirus, is there antibacterial software?

20. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,180   +73

"Can I borrow your phone for a moment? Thanks."

21. flocka

flocka TS Rookie Posts: 40

probably sound hygenic to the UK lmao

22. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

I dunno what's more embarrassing, going to the doctor to get checked or getting caught peeing on your phone.

23. Cryptopsy

Cryptopsy TS Enthusiast Posts: 47

Could be useful during a sex scene... "wait baby, show me your phone I need to know something before we start" xD

24. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Guru Posts: 529   +36

It'd be cool to be able to use it to detect certain diseases.

"Wanna come down for coffee?"
    "Wanna pee on my phone first?"

25. bakape

bakape TS Enthusiast Posts: 123

It will most probably be a USB device of some sort, perhaps micro. Not too surprised since you can plug in much into those ports - from lamps to vacuum cleaners.

Also this gives UPnP a whole new meaning: Universal Plug and Pee anyone? :D