Inactive From Windows Vista Home Security 2012 malware to 'other user' only login option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I’ve google’d my brains out on this one and have found a few forums that address issue in a similar fashion, but none that address it as I’m encountering it.

So here’s what happened:

I logged on one day to find the Windows Vista Home Security 2012 malware on my laptop. Did the search and downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove it from the system.

After the system scan and removal, a restart was required. Upon restarting, I see a blue splash screen that lists "Other User" only-my acct isn't there. At the bottom left corner is the "ease of access" blue button but it does nothing. When I select the "other user" I'm prompted for a username and password. I've tried everything I can imagine but it says something like "This domain either does not exist or the username or password is incorrect".

I’ve tried booting into Safe Mode, however pressing F8 throughout the boot sequence does nothing.

Having just thrown out the system recovery CDs during a move (of course), I was able to download a Windows Vista Boot Disc, which allows me to run the ‘repair my computer’ option. Unfortunately, the following is true:

• Startup Repair – looks like it runs, and finds one root problem…however upon restart, same ‘other user’ screen.
• System Restore – luckily there are several restore points. I ran a restore to a point a month ago, however after restart, same ‘other user’ screen.
• System Image Recovery – doesn’t work because I don’t have any saved images.
• Command Prompt – works, and it looks like all my files are still there.

Through the command prompt, I’ve tried viewing and modifying users via the ‘net user’ commands…nothing. I’ve run the ‘chkdsk’ process…nothing. I’ve tried running the sfc/scannow option…it doesn’t work.

Long story short, I’m at my witts end. I really don’t want to go through the whole ‘wipe clean and reload everything’ grind yet again.

As best I can tell, I’m thinking it has something to do with the registry…only I’m not very good at deciphering the registry (though I can access it via ‘regedit’ through the command prompt).

Does anyone know how I might restore Safe Mode through the command prompt, or how the heck to get rid of this ‘other user’?

Thanks a million!
KF

p.s.- I'm running the 64 bit version of vista...not sure if that helps.

Welcome to TechSpot! 'll help with malware, but I need some informatiom:

Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
====================================
My Guidelines: please read and follow:
  • Be patient. Malware cleaning takes time and I am also working with other members while I am helping you.
  • Read my instructions carefully. If you don't understand or have a problem, ask me.
  • If you have questions, or if a program doesn't work, stop and tell me about it. Don't try to get around it yourself.
  • Follow the order of the tasks I give you. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • File sharing programs should be uninstalled or disabled during the cleaning process..
  • Observe these:
    [o] Don't use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you.
    [o] Don't use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
    [o] Don't download and install new programs- except those I give you.
  • Please let me know if there is any change in the system.

If I don't get a reply from you in 5 days, the thread will be closed. If your problem persist, you can send a PM to reopen it.
=====================================

Can't go any further

Hello Bobbeye,

I appreciate you taking the time to try and help. I took a look at the malware thread you mentioned, but unfortunately i cannot complete any of the steps you've mentioned because I can't get any further than the 'other user' screen.

If i let the system just boot up itself, it takes me directly to the 'other user' screen mentioned in my first post.

If i boot using the vista boot disc, I can access the system restore and command prompt options...but nothing I've done there helps the problem.

It looks to me like it's either a corrupt user, or a registry issue (or both).

Thanks again,

KF

See if this helps:

Change another User Account

Go to the User Accounts control panel and then click on the Manage another account link. You will see a list with all the existing users. Double click on the user you want to change and the following window will open:
ua10.jpg

Image courtesy Vista4Beginners.

There are additional screen shots and directions for User Accounts on the site HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back