Front Audio Jack Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD Athlon 64bit 3200+
1gb DDR 400 RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 6800
Realtek AC97 Audio
Microsoft Windows XP

Heya all. I'm only new to these forums so just bear with me.

A month or two ago I had a new motherboard put in, I used to have a Gigabyte K8 mobo but now I have a Jetway mobo. I have front audio and mic jacks on my tower, but the problem is ever since I had this new motherboard put in it hasn't worked. Both mobo's had AC97 audio, but the Gigabyte mobo had a different brand I think, whereas this Jetway's onboard is Realtek AC97. I've tried different drivers, and still no go. But when I take the green speaker plug out the back of the tower and plug it into the front green jack, you can hear like the sound scratching as I put it in but there just isn't any sound when its in. Same happens with my headphones. The main reason I would like to get it working is so I can easily just plug my headphones in it like I used to and just turn the speakers off, but now I can't because I'm not getting any audio from the front jack what so ever ever since I got this new mobo. I hope somebody can help me with this issue. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Have the front panel audio connectors been connected to your new mobo?

Get whoever installed your new mobo to take a look.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi!

I'm having a similiar problem, have you solved your problem? I can't get the mic on the front to work. I have the similiar hardware as you. All I get is a distorted sound when I plug in the mic. Teh front panel sound works fine, although I can't use both the front and the rear at the same time, then I only get sound from the front.

Does anybody know how to connect the mobo?

I have connected:
mic pwr -vcc
mic in - mic (tried without this as well)
ground -gnd
and the som additional like ret-r... which I don't think is the problem.

There is one contact on my mobo - mic bias, what is this used for?

Do you have to change anything in the control panel to get the front mic to work?

regards Rasmus

Different mobos may handle this differently but with my MSI to enable the case front jacks (properly plugged in, of course) jumpers have to be removed on the mobo. The mobo manual tells where and which ones. This disables the rear connections as you are aware. I'm talking about onboard sound and not PCI sound cards.

If you've already done this, then, well....nevermind. :)

If you don't have the mic_bias pin attatched, that may be the issue. The mic_bias header is also referred to as mic_power sometimes. So if there is a mic_power pin (or simliar name), try connecting your mic_bias to this.

If that doesn't solved it, you're probably dealing with a case of improperly connected headers. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen headers mis-labeled and header locations in manuals incorrect. This seems especially frequent with "budget" boards... probably because of the lack of english-speaking people involved with design, manufacturing and marketing process. ;)

You may have to engage with some old-fashioned trial and error to get this issue resolved.

I'm pretty sure mailpup is on the right track here. Most mobo's use a jumper to enable or disable the front/rear jacks. Check your manual, it should have something there.

Thanks for all quick response.

I don't think there were any jumpers on my mobo. In the manual it says that I should remove them if I want to use the front panel audio, but I can't find any jumpers. And since the sound is working on the front I assume that the jumpers have been removed.

Is it not possible to get sound from both the front and the rear audio at the same time? All the people how are able to get sound both from the front and the rear what do they have that I don't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back