Front USB ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having problems with my front two usb ports. I have them connected tp the motherboard. When I try to connect something to them I get nothing. Just wondering if it could be a driver issue?

Check, double check and triple check, that you have connected your front usb ports correctly to your mobo. Your mobo manual will have details of the correct connections.

It`s definitely not a driver issue.

Regards Howard :)

Well if your using USB2 than you will need to have drivers installed, usually the motherboard comes with a disk with all the necessary drivers. But if you have XP Service pack 2 or later than its not a driver issue. I had similar problems with my old mobo, cant remember how i fixed them, i think i had one of the wires connected to the wrong pin or something.

I was having problems with my old motherboard to. I thought when I upgraded my computer it would be fixed. I have SP2. I am almost 99.9% sure they are connected right. I am not a newbie when it comes to building system, so I know where things should go. I read my manual about the location, and it seems right. I guess I can go and recheck everything again.

yes it is the motherboard I am using. The problem started with the board I had before, and now has carried over to the new board. Are there cables I can buy to replace the old ones if they are bad?

Yes, but im not sure about where, you see where i live every once or twice a month there is a computer fair where you can by thousands, or even tens of thousands of different computer parts for very cheap prices. Its run by asians so my guess is they import them from japan or china or some other cheap country and thats why they are so cheap. I know you can by new cables cause i have myself. But in your case im not so sure, maybe you could get them at your local computer shop?

It seems strange that you would have this problem with two different mobo`s. It`s sounding more and more like your front usb ports are bad. If that`s the problem, then I think your best option would be to buy a new case. I really don`t know what else it could be.

I can get to the front usb ports if I pull off the front of the tower. Could I just replace the cables, or do you think that they are built into the housing unit for the front usb port.

If you can replace the cables, then go ahead, if that doesn`t work, then a new case is probably in order. Having said that, you could buy a separate usb hub if you don`t fancy replacing the case.

No, that would be a usb pci card. A usb hub would plug in to one of your exisiting rear usb ports. See HERE for examples. However, you could get a pci usb card if you preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back