Frontpage/DreamWeaver

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddy05

Which will you rather use? In your opinion which is easiler/ a better software to use to create webpages? Wad features in DreamWeaver is better then Frontpage?

The best HTML editor out there and the only one you ever need if you know HTML is Notepad.

OK so I'm old school, I prefer to use Coffee Cup myself. It has a simple interface and you can easily enter the HTML and other code as easily as with notepad or use the tools included, you can also view the preview and the editor panes at the same time if you like. I'm not sure how DreamWeaver is these days but the last time I used it, it was somewhat awkard to use but me being from the Notepad generation, what I call awkward may be easier to use for some. I do not like Front Page at all.

Dreamweaver is by far the easiest of the bunch to use, although you might not learn as much by using it because its basically point and click your way to building a webpage instead of manually coding it. Plus, it has tons of features (I'm not familiar with all of them) and works well with other Macromedia products, which can be a plus or minus depending on how you like their products.

As far as Frontpage, I also don't care for it too much. It's pretty easy to design pages in it, but it doesn't carry as many features as Dreamweaver, and I find it harder to get used to using.

As Stormbringer said if you know HTML there is nothing better than Notepad, but Dreamweaver is the closest I've seen to do the best job coding by itself.

I use Dreamweaver UltraDev and Notepad. I used to use Frontpage some time back - but that was a long time ago and I don't even know what newer versions contain.

LNCPapa

I would recommend Dreamwever MX, its got a lot more features than Dreamweaver 4. I think its supposed to be son of UltraDev and Dreamweaver ;). Plus as someone's said above, its fully compatible with Macromedia Flash and Fireworks. Frontpage is great for someone who just wants to get a web site up, if you want to do anything flash use Dreamweaver.

I can appreciate those who use notepad, can't say I'm that way inclined myself. Suppose i'm lazy ;).

Yes - I actually use Dreamweaver UltraDev, Dreamweaver MX, and Notepad now - along with Fireworks MX, Flash MX, and lots of other tools I don't really know how to use but like to experiment with.

LNCPapa

Dreamweaver all the way. When I first started out, I used Frontpage and I was fairly happy with it because I didn't know anything about HTML... hehe

Once I got my hands on Dreamweaver, it seemed awkward, but I wouldn't go back to anything else.. EVER. I use Dreamweaver 4 (I have UltraDev too, but I don't have a lot of use for the extras) and I'm very pleased with the control I have over your creations. Dreamweaver writes great HTML code too (minus some superfluous font tags), unlike Front Page which slops IE-only crap everywhere.

Dreamweaver also has advanced features that webmasters should really enjoy such as the HTML cleanup (looks for unecessary tags and removes them for you), advanced site-wide control features (search/replace etc..), and a compatbility verifier that compares your HTML code against any version of IE or Netscape you'd like to make sure it is compatible.

It's wonderful. If you know anything about HTML too, it has a color-coded text editor you can use to do it by hand. You even view your code and page at the same time and add your own little HTML tid bits as you drop and drag your page's design around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back