Frozen Documents Page - Windows 8

Anyone know why my documents page is freezing? I routinely open several documents daily & minimize them. Every once in a while (doesn't seem like it happens every day), after opening a document the Documents shortcut freezes. I can't close, click or do anything. I can, however, go to my start screen, open the Document shortcut again, open additional documents then close that shortcut, all while the first Document page is still open and still unresponsive. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OpenOffice version 3.3.0
Strange, I would not associate OO with misbehavior like that. I have to guess here. Do the documents contain links to webpages which no longer apply/exist/respond? Do the documents contain functions such as active-X or javascript? Has the behavior started very recently, and did it start after a monthly MS patch Tuesday? If so, roll the PC back to a restore point just before, then apply the patches one by one until it goes wrong again. Then roll back that last patch applied.

If no solution, upgrade to OO 4.0.0

The fact that a document can remain frozen and unresponsive, yet another can be opened, shows that OO is nicely written as a multi-threaded program, where the kernel procedures did not (in this case) lock up themselves. One possible way in which this could happen might be (I'm not an expert, mind) that some memory is faulty. You could check the event log for clues, you could remove and re-seat all memory chips (carefully), you could run memory tests.....

All in all, this has the feel of a hardware or document content problem, not a software problem.

Last edited:
Back