Frozen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but please someone keep me from killing my computer. I have posted this in another forum and they were stumped so I am trying again. I am a newbie, please forgive me if I don't give you all the information you need.

I previously had a problem with my computer freezing. When I say freezing I don't mean it hung up or slowed, I mean it stopped. Like it said "hey I am tired" and just STOPPED. I would have reset or cut the power and reboot. I tried formatting and reinstalling windows as the computer was two years old and had never been formatted. That didn't work and it finally got to a point where it wouldn't boot up at all. I would get to the windows screen with the blue bar across the bottom hear a click and it would reboot.

We first thought it was the power supply, replaced it. The problem persisted so my sister thought it was the hard drive as did my BF, I thought it was the motherboard. Majority rules and I bought a new hard drive. Hey guess what, I was right, the problem persited and so I replaced the motherboard and the processor.

Everything was working fine for 2 weeks until it started freezing again on the weekend. I barely have anything on it. I have run virus scanners and malware/spyware scanners. I have run pcpitstop.

I am at a loss. I can't imagine it is any of the hardware as I have replaced the powersupply, motherboard, processors hard drive (the old hard drive is working fine and is running as the slave right now), I bought new ram so I now have two sticks of 512 (one old and one new). I am running windows XP, I have McAfee, I have a firewall (sygate), spybot search and destroy and I was running spyware doctor.

Please someone, give me some ideas before I turn it into a very expensive door stop.

Thank you.

hi aprilg.
you almost have a new PC from what you say. does your Mcafee have a firewall to? if it has this may be part of your problem as you already have windows xp firewall available to you, and you also use sygate too. how do you have all the anti-spy and antivirus programmes running all at the same time? that could also be part of the problem.

The windows firewall is disabled and the version of McAfee I have does not include a firewall, so Sygate is all I have running as a firewall.

I don't have everything running all at once. McAfee is running in the background most of the time (although I have tried shutting it down and I still freeze). The other programs I only ran after the freezing started. They don't run all the time - I only run them when I want to do a scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back