Frustrating and unexplainable PC problems (video card possibly?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago while i was playing world of warcraft i got the BSOD. I rebooted my computer but i found that the bios and bootup screen were had such a garbled image that everything was impossible to read. Windows wouldn't boot up at all. It would only load up for a while then the screen would simply go black.
I pressed F8 to bring up the advanced startup options but nothing was readable. I could however vauguely see where the cursor was so i was able to find safe mode after a few attempts. On one of the failed attempts i got the bsod that said "nv4_disp infinite loop" or something like that.
Eventually when i was able to boot it up the screen displayed a resolution of 640x480, 4bit color and there were random vertical lines going up the screen. If i tried to change this the computer would crash and give me a variety of error messages like "PAGE_FAULT_IN_A_NONPAGED_AREA" or "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" or "nvr_disp"
I looked up the problem on google and found out that i needed to replace my video drivers. So i dl'd new drivers, uninstalled the old ones, the reinstalled the new ones. This didn't help at all and i still got the same messages. I tested my hardware and found out that everything works except the Video Memory, the test said it had something like "0x00000h expected to read 0h but read 8h instead". Sometimes when i try to install different video drivers or test out other settings I can get windows to boot up in its normal resolution and the video card functions seem to work okay, but eventually the computer will freeze up on me or i'll get a BSOD. Unlike Windows, the BIOS has never booted up normal looking since the problem occurred.

System Specs:
Dell XPS 400
Nvidia 6800
Pentium D 2.8ghz dual core
ram 1gb ddr2 dell made ram ( i think they made it)

I have no clue what the problem could be or how to fix it
Please ask me any questions that you think will help you solve this problem.
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back