Frustrating display problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I have an HP Pavilion a1220n pc. It uses the Intel 910GL chipset. My display monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 206BW - new. The problem: running in the "background" of the display (only way I can describe it) are high-frequency, "wavy lines". For example, if you were to display any kind of image that has closely spaced lines, then you'd see a constant interferrence pattern in the display. I did this: removed and reinstalled the display monitor driver. Updated (from the HP site) the 910 chipset. No change. If I keep the display driver installed, but UNINSTALL the chipset driver, the computer switches to VGA mode and the interferrence pattern GOES AWAY. Of course, the display is not optimal, but this annoying and continuous pattern is gone. If I re-install the chipset driver, the problem returns. I'm at my wits end and my eyes are hammered. HELP! (For instance, as I type this message, this interferrence pattern makes the letters "vibrate") Again, HELP! Thanks in advance.

Are you sure you are running the display at its optimal resolution and refresh rate?

It should be 1680x1050 at 60hz

Also that monitor (according to the webpage I'm looking at) has a VGA as well as DVI connections. If at all possible you need to be using DVI, the analog VGA cables will make a screen that size look like crap.

No joy...

Thanks for the reply. I am running at 1680 x 1050 and the refresh rate is 60Hz. My HP Pavilion a1220n does not have a digital video output. I find it interesting that when I un-install the Intel 910GL chipset, and the computer switchs to VGA mode, the interference goes away. Perhaps it's possible that I don't have the correct setting in some .ini file? Thanks again.

In VGA mode you are running at 800x600 though, and not 1680x1050 right? When you've got the real drivers installed drop your resolution to what it is in VGA mode and see if the problem persists.

No change

Thanks again. I reduced the resolution to 800 x 600 but the problem did not go away. Again, when I remove the 910GL chipset driver, then the problem goes away. I appreciate the input. =Tim=

You have either a bad video graphics port, or a failing monitor, methinks. You can install a video card in that HP and get back to normal, if the monitor tests ok while connected to another computer.

Hi. I appreciate the insight. It's not the monitor. Besides being new (yes, new monitors do go bad) I swapped out the monitor with another one and the problem was still there. My HP Pavilion a1220n does not have an AGP (correct term?) port. I've already looked. So I'd have to use something in one of the PCI slots. I suppose that's possible, yeah? Thanks again. Funny how the problem goes away when I un-install the Intel 910GL chipset driver. Hmmmmmmmmmm....

You might consider downloading 910GL drivers directly from Intel... and also try an earlier version from HP... or from www.driverguide.com. There are many occasions when the latest drivers do not work properly.
Also, check to assure you have the latest BIOS.
But you can still find a pretty decent PCI video card, if nothing else works.
Be sure to delete or disable the old drivers in the Device Manager of System in the Control panel.

We're gonna finger this thing out...

Howdy. Downloading direct from Intel: no go. When I do that, and then launch the download, it says something to the effect that the download in not (certified, authenticated, ohhhhhhhhh, I dunno, it says something) and informs me that I must go to the computer manufacturers download site (HP) which works fine, for the download and launch. PROPRIETARY CRAP! To an extent, we are all victims. Anyway, your comment that many drivers do not work properly is certainly a consideration. BIOS is in order. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether this might be some kind of deficiency in an .ini file? - of which I only have dangerously deficient knowledge.... Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back