fryed usbs.. i think.. am i SOL?

By silverwingz
Oct 3, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok so I got this Dell Inspiron 1721 a little while back and everything was running fine untill last night when my keyboard and mouse started flashing over and over, at first I thought maybe the plug wasnt in right and i unplugged it and plugged it back in, it worked for a little while then started doing it again, so i unplugged everything. I accidently left the mouse plugged in for a while and when I went to unplug it the plug was searing hot (was plugged in near the battery, whch could have been the reason for that), so now i think my laptop fryed my keyboard and mouse and it happened at the same time so I think all of my usbs are shot now.

anyways my question is this, Is this a normal problem with the powered usb 2.0s? and since i think im going to have to send my dell in, do you think i stand a chance at getting my keyboard and mouse replaced by them or am I sol? together they cost me around $100 new.
  2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,711

If you had these connected direct to the laptop it is worth asking - if through a hub, forget it. Sorry.
  3. silverwingz

silverwingz Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 82

ok now im really confused... last night my mouse and keyboard started working again, but this morning when I tryed to plug em back in they didnt work and now when I plug my power cord in, it shows that its fully charged but it doesnt say its plugged in.. I read some where that this could be caused because of a bad usb driver, so I went and checked, and Im up-to-date on my drivers so i know it cant be that.. I have restarted like 5 times so it isnt that.

the other thing thats going on is every once in a while is that some keys will either get stuck or reverse, as in if i push forward it goes back, or my touch pad will just stop working or it wont let me type or something like that, and to fix this i have to double tap shift. Its very annoying when im in the middle of something and it starts to happen, is there any way to fix this? i thought it might be the sticky keys shift thing, but I thought I had turned that off when I first got on it.

btw if anyones curious this is a Dell Inspiron 1721 I dont know if I posted that in my first post.

If anyone has any info on this or knows of these issues please post cuz i feel like I just have a bad laptop. This is the first vista system I have had, could these possibly be different options I need to set or change in vista?
  4. kpo6969

kpo6969 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 875

5. silverwingz

silverwingz Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 82

ty ty, im going through the steps right now
  6. edercam

edercam Newcomer, in training

help please!

Hello!
    My name is Efren, and I am from Mexico
    I have a Dell inspiron 1721,
    Service Tag: 471H0F1
    Express Code: 9132865885
    and I need bios Pw or master pw for the lap
    Sorry for bad English.
    Please help me!
    Thank You Very Much!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.