Fsb and new mb problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_need_answers

Hi,
I am planning to upgrade my motherboard but im confused at all this Front Side Bus mess. I understand that it is the frequency that the motherboard carries data from, im guessing the memory or cpu. But what i need to know is what a good m/b is on the market that will be compatable with my old asus p4g533.
...I know the asus website doesn't seem to think it exsist but here is a link to my computers compaq online help webpage. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07845
my computer is a presario s5100nx and I need to know what fsb m/b i need to buy and i know its a socket pga478 but will a regular 478 socket work also?
thanks bye

backup a minute. are you trying to upgrade a compaq?

PS > pga (Pin Grid Array) 478 and socket 478 mean the same thing

zephead said:
it will not only be a problem but likeley waste your money/time.

Why's that? I upgraded my dell that everyone told me was "impossible, stupid, and a waste of money." It worked out ok, didn't even have to reinstall xp, just repair install, after replacing the mobo.

there's no guarantee you'll run into trouble, but odds are you will. compaq and dell both oem, mind you.

you got lucky on the repair the OEM disc wants to see the OEM bios
I have had trouble reinstall after bios upgrades
as far as new board nothing wrong with that,but you may need to buy a new copy of OS.from what I read on the link supplied
you need a board for a 400mhz cpu or dual 400 533
also the mem speed backwards compatable with pc2100
make sure the new board will fit the case some OEM's (IBM)make board and case to go together no other boards will fit

Just some laffable info>>>>>>>>>

Just some laffable info
proprietary

adj : protected by trademark or patent or copyright; made or produced or distributed by one having exclusive rights; "`Tylenol' is a proprietary drug of which `acetaminophen' is the generic form" [ant: nonproprietary] n : an unincorporated business owned by a single person who is responsible for its liabilities and entitled to its profits [syn: proprietorship]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

proprietary

1. In marketroid-speak, superior; implies a product imbued
with exclusive magic by the unmatched brilliance of the
company's own hardware or software designers.

2. In the language of hackers and users, inferior; implies a
product not conforming to open-systems standards, and thus
one that puts the customer at the mercy of a vendor who can
inflate service and upgrade charges after the initial sale has
locked the customer in.
:bounce:

thanks a bunch

thanks alot guys,
I have a 2.6 ghz celeron in it and i really didn't wanna buy a whole new system. so.... if i get a 400/533 motherboard it should clock right and everything and work with my proccessor and 256mb 2100 ram and 512mb 2700 ram??
thanks

thanks

ok.... just to make sure...an 800 motherboard definantely wont work right??
cause I like the 800's better than the 533/400 because I get more features for less.... would it be possible to overclock my cpu to 800 from 400 or would that be a huge leap. also could i just overclock it to 533 so I can run on a 800/533?? thanks for all your help.
ps. on my old motherboard I couldn't overclock to cpu higher b/c the feature wasn't on the BIOS menu. If I were to buy another motherboard would the feature to overclock most likely be there?? thanks alot
wow i just calculated the overclock jump.
b/c my cpu is on 400mhz the multiplier has to be 6.5 b/c its a 2.6 ghz machine. ....which means to overclock the core frequency to 533mhz would be a huge and most likely fatal jump from 2.6 to 3.4... am i correct? which means there is no way to overclock the core frequecy...only the multiplier..right??

wow

ok... I just thought of something. Is it possible to downclock a motherboard so that I could make a 800 mhz or a 800/533 mhz motherboard act like a 400 mhz motherboard. And if it is how can i do it. also is it reversable in case I upgrade my cpu in the future?
thanks you guys are the best.

Having a Dell of a time... or... To Dell in a bucket

If I described the whole scenerio to you, you wouldn't believe me... Dell sucks! It took me FOUR freakin' months to get a grapics card that works in the Dimension 3000!!! Oh, and by the way, did I mention... Dell sucks! There are some people working there who are not so "speak-a-good English" ya' know? The worst part is the "Oh-we-didn't-know-that-was-the-wrong-card" routine. Card number FOUR finally did it! Dell sucks! I was so happy to hear a clear-speaking hard-working tech at BFG technologies, that I almost started crying from the stress-relief. Dell sucks! After the first five minutes the guy at BFG walked me through the installation (like I had never installed a graphics card before) and it worked! I thought I was losing my mind! It was too simple! That's what was supposed to happen with the other three (wrong) cards!!! Dell sucks! The tech (Eric) at BFG was working on Memorial day, for cryin' out loud. God bless the American worker! Amen! I've gotta go take a pill... oh yeah, I almost forgot... Dell SUCKS!!!!

i_need_answers said:
ok.... just to make sure...an 800 motherboard definantely wont work right??
cause I like the 800's better than the 533/400 because I get more features for less.... would it be possible to overclock my cpu to 800 from 400 or would that be a huge leap. also could i just overclock it to 533 so I can run on a 800/533?? thanks for all your help.
ps. on my old motherboard I couldn't overclock to cpu higher b/c the feature wasn't on the BIOS menu. If I were to buy another motherboard would the feature to overclock most likely be there?? thanks alot
wow i just calculated the overclock jump.
b/c my cpu is on 400mhz the multiplier has to be 6.5 b/c its a 2.6 ghz machine. ....which means to overclock the core frequency to 533mhz would be a huge and most likely fatal jump from 2.6 to 3.4... am i correct? which means there is no way to overclock the core frequecy...only the multiplier..right??

Ok, I'll explain better. The boards I listed say 800/533 on newegg, but they actually are 800/533/400 compatible(not all 800/533 are compatible with the 400 fsb, but I know the gigabyte is for sure). Look on the board's site, it says 800/533/400.
http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-8IG1000MK.htm

I highly doubt you can go from the 400fsb to the 800fsb, but going from the 400 to 533 is definitely possible.

Actually, your cpu multiplier is 26 for that cpu. A 400fsb actually is a 100fsb, but intel cpus fsb's are "quad pumped," which I don't really understand, all I know is a 400 is actually a 100mhz fsb in the bios. 100x26=2600. The 533 bus is 133mhz in bios, and the 800fsb is 200. So if you oc'ed to 533, it'd be 133x26=3458.

The cpu multi stays the same, you are just adjusting the fsb speed, which is multiplied by the multiplier to get the cpu speed.

I don't know how well celeron 2.6's oc, but my p4 1.8 400fsb oc'ed to 2.5 on stock voltage(the gigabyte board I got doesn't have adjustable cpu voltage).

Even if you only got to 115fsb(460fsb), your cpu is 3ghz.

Oh, one more thing. Oc'ing your fsb also oc's your ram speed, so your pc2100 stick may not be able to take much oc'ing, but your pc2700 stick should be able to handle it.

Edit: The Abit sg72 also is 800/533/400
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=163

wow thanks

wow thanks,
That cleared up a few things lol.
ok one last thing i need to ask you...
if a motherboard says it needs at least 400mhz ddr ram will 266mhz and 333mhz be compatable?
thanks a whole bunch

I've never seen a mobo like this that says it needs "at least 400mhz". Usually it says up to ddr400 etc. But yeah, the gigabyte and abit support ddr 266/333/400, so no problems there. The only problem I can think of is the pc2100 stick you have probably will limit overclocking, so you can either not oc(or not very much), or remove it and only use your pc2700(or higher) memory.

Edit: I found another board that might work.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131476
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4S800-MX&langs=09
as you can see from the asus website 800/533/400, pc3200/2700/2100, as are the gigabyte and abit boards. I think all three can oc. Just the features and price vary.

Sorry to dissappoint you, but I don't think that mobo will fit in your case.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07845
It says uATX above which means micro atx.
You listed that your current mobo is matx, so I think you probably have a matx case. The gigabyte board I got has 4 dimm slots though and 3 pci slots+agp. The only card I had to install on the gigabyte was a modem, since it has built in lan and sound. You may consider getting a new case though if you want more pci, it is easier to use a new case than a oem case. As long as the case fits atx then you could get an atx mobo(more pci and features). Just a thought to think about, so you consider all your options.
:)

thanks

thanks for all your help but I got the asrock p4v88 socket 478 motherboard fromk newegg. should arive any day now :) It had all the features but for a lower price :) thanks a ton for everyones help you guys rule...:)

OK, let us know how it goes. Feel free to pm me if you have any more specific questions once you get the board and want to set it up. To reuse the dell xp cd(and not have to buy a new copy of xp) I had to do some things before the install. If you want me to explain, pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back