FSB issue after installing new RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got my new ram in the mail today (1gb. [512x2] pc3200 ddr400 of kingston hyperX) but after i installed it i went into bios and it was only running w/ a 100mhz FSB. windows loaded fine like that but obviously slow as hell. so i restarted and turned the FSB up to 200 in the bios and it wouldn't post. next i tried to relax the ram timings (auto detected at 2-2-2-5) but it still wouldn't post. after some more messing around i put my old single stick of 512 in there and everythng booted up normally. i hope there's something really obvious that i'm overlooking or that i'm just not knowledgable to see (very likely.) any help would be greately appreciated. i motherboard doesn't support dual channel, if that makes any difference... i really don't know.

here's my specs: shuttle an-35 (n), amd 2700+, ocz 470w psu, 120gb 7200rpm hdd x2, 6800gt vga

thanks again

Update the bios.

Set up BIOS. Run www.memtest86.com for an hour. You can see the CPU/RAM speeds there too.

Maybe your mobo is picky when it comes to RAM. My A7N8X-X is running the 4th different brand of RAM no problem. Including Kingston Value. I leave the RAM settings in BIOS at defaults. It reads 200Mhz at post.

If you have an AthlonXP 2700+, run the ram in sync with the FSB which should be set to 166mhz in your case. Setting the ram to any else will result in a performance penalty. & yes, as fishhookz said, running a memtest can't hurt but get the latest version available HERE.

thanks for the information. i updated my bios relatively recently but i will see if there's a more recent version. i don't have a floppy drive so i don't think i can run memtest, correct? i'll try setting the fsb and mem. band. to 166. thanks

thanks for the help keep it coming if anybody else has suggestions.

still can't get past bios

my bios are current and changing the fsb and memory bandwidth didn't do it either. i've had bad sticks before but this doesn't seem like the usual symptoms. if i'm wrong please enlighten me. this problem is kinda pissing me off right now so i'm going to eat a chicken pot pie and try not to think about it.

anymore suggestions???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back