FSB Problem HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I have a FIC AU13 Mb with 512 PC 3200 running a AMD 2500+. I am supposed to be able to run 333 FSB. When I set the speed to 166Mhz (x 11) the machine powers up and loads the OS fine. When I try to run a game from the CDRom drive, the
machine shuts itself off. (The machine will shutoff after some time no matter what I do.)

I am now running at 133Mhz (x11) (1900+) and the machine works fine.

I have called FIC and they say it may be the memory or the CPU.

I called AMD and they say it could be the power supply.

Any Suggestions? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Ohh and here are the periphs:

I have 2 HD's 80 and 30 gig, 2 CD drive, 430W Antec PS two Case fans, with a NVidia 5200 GeForce FX Ultra VideoCard

Thanks,

Jason

Sounds more like a cooling problem. What are the temps when using 333mhz? I had a similar problem and cured it by putting heatsinks on my video card memory and a fan on the northbridge heatsink. Also check the BIOS to see if the AGP/PCI lock is on. That keeps them running at 66mhz regardless of what the bus is set at. You may be inadvertantly overclocking the AGP slot.

check to see

that your memory is in sync with your cpu..........HCLK + 33 would be the setting in regards to 333

I just checked another site and someone there with a similar problem had bad memory. Hope this helps.

What are your CPU/System temps when you set the FSB to 166 ?

You have PC3200 ( 200 ) memory, so in theory it shouldn't have any problem running at PC2700 ( 166 ) speeds even with aggressive timings.

Also the nForce 2 chipset works best when the memory is in sync with the FSB, so in the BIOS set it to 100% or HSTCLK.

If you think the problem is coming from the memory, set the CPU/MEM to 166 & run Memtest -> http://www.memtest86.com/

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input.

I spent all weekend, swapping PowerSupplies, and
heatsinks. I put a Volcano 9 on instead of the stock AMD
HS, and it still shuts down. Even if I set the machine to
1900+ with memory speed of 133, it cannot even make it through windows setup (which I have to run now, cause the PC
won't get past giveio.sys in safe mode - or run at all in normal
mode). I get about 20-30 seconds of running time and
then, the machine turns off - no matter what I do now.

A red light at the bottom of the mobo stays lit when it shuts
down. That indicates overheat I believe. Of what I am not sure.

Thanks for the help. I am completely befuddled.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back