TechSpot

FSB vs Processor speed

By HPCE_Larry
Jan 9, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What would be faster, a 2.4ghz cpu with a 1066mhz fsb or a 3.4ghz processor with an 800mhz fsb? Is the fsb capable of being overclocked? Which effects overall speed more?
  2. kitty500cat

kitty500cat Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,407   +6

In my opinion, the 2.4GHz CPU would be faster than the 3.4GHz, and especially in the case of an Intel Core 2 Duo vs. a Pentium 4 or Pentium D. If the FSB is low but the CPU is high, that might not make that much of a difference, cuz even if the CPU speed is that high, the FSB might not be able to do the stuff that it needs to do fast enough to keep up with the CPU.
  3. HPCE_Larry

HPCE_Larry Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 189

k thanks. Is it possible to overclock the fsb speed?
  4. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,520   +9

What processors are they (Intel Pentium 4, D, etc)? Also, welcome to Techspot :wave: !
  5. HPCE_Larry

Thanks, this website has been very helpful so far.

The 3.4ghz one is a Pentium D 950 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116240)

The other one i'm looking at is a 2.13ghz core 2 duo. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004)

Both get good reviews, although it appears that the second processor overclocks more easily, again judging by reviews. I hear intel plans on cutting prices on a lot of the core 2 duo's after the end of january, so i'll wait until then before deciding anything deffinite. I'm more curious now to see if I really should try to go for 1066 over 800.
    Also, I've seen some AMD processors that have a huge fsb speed, and a mediocre cpu speed. How well do those line up compared to a core 2 duo?
  6. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Welcome to Techspot!!

The second processor will ABSOLUTELY DESTROY the Pentium D :)
    And the fsb can be overclocked. Just check your BIOS, and increase the fsb speed. It will raise the processor and FSB speed.

Regards :wave:
  7. cfitzarl

Wolfram's right, the Intel Core 2 Duo is much more powerful than the Pentium D, and is a pretty good overclocker, although overclocking won't be neccesary. The 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo is not even equivalent to most processors. It's performance rating is ~6.0-6.5GHz (I think).
  8. agi_shi

agi_shi Newcomer, in training Posts: 507

Hey, I've been wondering - what IS performance rating? MY X2 3800+ is rated at 5.7GHz and I'm really getting confused =/
  9. cfitzarl

It's the performance that the proccessor acts at. For the single core AMD's, the model number is the performance rating. I have an Athlon 64 3500+ and it's performance rated at 3.5GHz. My friend has an Athlon XP 3200+ and his is performance rated at 3.2GHz.
  10. venger417

venger417 Newcomer, in training Posts: 24

11. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,492   +292

Something isn't right then. The Intel spec sheets for the 800 and 900 series Pentium D processors don't even show anything higher than 68C , and thats drawing 130 watts when a 3.4Ghz stock Pentium D draws 95.

So you've either improperly installed your heatsink, or you have a defective sensor.

Edit: Reread your post, you may have had a bad board to begin with if it was picking up the thermal sensor ON the processor as that high.

12. HPCE_Larry

where do I find out performance ratings for processors? How well does an amd processor of roughly equivelant price $220 compare to the 2.13ghz core 2 duo?
  13. wolfram

What model is it?
  14. HPCE_Larry

Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo was the AMD i was possibly looking at.
  15. cfitzarl

Again, the Intel Core 2 Duo :D !
  16. HPCE_Larry

alright thanks. I'm liking this forum, good answers and fast.
  17. wolfram

Cfitzarl is correct. The Core 2 duo should win.

Regards :wave:
  18. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Gah, you have the same stock speed as me and mine is only rated at 4.6 GHz according to sandra... :( :( :( :( :(
  19. wolfram

But his CPU is dual-core, and yours not... :unch:
  20. agi_shi

agi_shi Newcomer, in training Posts: 507

Uhh... Ok...

But what exactly does the rated speed mean? If it has no actual meaning whatsoever then it's just a useless number.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.