TechSpot

FTC approval of Facebook's WhatsApp acquisition comes with a privacy warning

By Shawn Knight
Apr 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook's proposed acquisition of mobile messaging startup WhatsApp was given the green light by the Federal Trade Commission on Thursday despite objections from two consumer privacy groups. Approval from international regulators is still needed before the deal is finalized but...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,192   +246

"Approval from international regulators is still needed before the deal is finalized" I dont get this bit why does the world need to approve it before you can actually buy a company????? Its like needing approval before buying a house...

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,423   +822

Because left to their own devices the tech giants can afford to buy out the entire world. Would you like a FB dictatorship?

4. wastedkill

If facebook wants to spent $19bill it aint got on a useless company it can, looking at past purchases facebook would "try" to buy google for $20trillion...

PLUS what tech company has that much money in their pocket?

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,423   +822

There have got to be standards in place. Would you like your company to be bought out, exploited and have your position made redundant to finally wind up on skidrow? Once you own something you can do exactly what you like with it not so?

6. wastedkill

For $19billion I am sure it wouldn't hurt me in the slightest... wouldnt even register tbh...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.