FTP Server that works on Windows and Linux

By VicRic
Feb 20, 2007
  1. Hi.

I know there are several freeware and shareware FTP server software out there.

Do you know of any that would work on Windows 2000/2003 server and Linux Fedora ?

Of course, you would run distinct compilations, but I hope the UI and operation would be the same.

p.s. the icing on the cake would be if they also allow synchronization (mirroring) between the servers. For this last feature I wouldn't mind buying the software.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Mind you, synchronising files between servers will be tricky, since file permissions in Windows and unix are very different. Any kind of fine-grained permissions systems will not work. You would probably have to sync files, then run a script to fix all perms.
  3. VicRic

VicRic TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 44

Thanks Nodsu.

I just thought of the file permissions problem right after I posted the question - yes, tricky business. Maybe that's the reason I haven't found any FTP server that compiles on both Linux and Windows.

However, I know that the default Windows FTP server allows you to set the 'Directory Listing Style' to either UNIX or MS-DOS; that has nothing to do with file permissions, but I think it may allow the proper mirroring of files between Windows and UNIX FTP servers.

I think synchronization HAS to be possible - I can't imagine that all the mirrored FTP sites you see on the internet are running all UNIX and none Windows.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,145   +597

FTP does not provide sync per se, but could be the transport component.

Personally, I use Allway Sync seen here.
    For Linux access, it depends upon a valid SAMBA configuration and the same
    user/pwd on both systems.

It will sync in both directions, but I use it as a one-way file replication tool
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You can easily mirror the data even over FTP protocol itself. There are many programs for that. Wget is a standard piece on any unix.
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,145   +597

Sure; FTP is the transport and Wget is the sync control.

edit: SSH works everywhere and performs both client/server functions when installed on both systems
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.