FTP Server that works on Windows and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicRic

Hi.

I know there are several freeware and shareware FTP server software out there.

Do you know of any that would work on Windows 2000/2003 server and Linux Fedora ?

Of course, you would run distinct compilations, but I hope the UI and operation would be the same.

Thnx

p.s. the icing on the cake would be if they also allow synchronization (mirroring) between the servers. For this last feature I wouldn't mind buying the software.

CrossFTP?

Mind you, synchronising files between servers will be tricky, since file permissions in Windows and unix are very different. Any kind of fine-grained permissions systems will not work. You would probably have to sync files, then run a script to fix all perms.

Thanks Nodsu.

I just thought of the file permissions problem right after I posted the question - yes, tricky business. Maybe that's the reason I haven't found any FTP server that compiles on both Linux and Windows.

However, I know that the default Windows FTP server allows you to set the 'Directory Listing Style' to either UNIX or MS-DOS; that has nothing to do with file permissions, but I think it may allow the proper mirroring of files between Windows and UNIX FTP servers.

I think synchronization HAS to be possible - I can't imagine that all the mirrored FTP sites you see on the internet are running all UNIX and none Windows.

Thnx

VicRic said:
p.s. the icing on the cake would be if they also allow synchronization (mirroring) between the servers. For this last feature I wouldn't mind buying the software.
FTP does not provide sync per se, but could be the transport component.

Personally, I use Allway Sync seen here.
For Linux access, it depends upon a valid SAMBA configuration and the same
user/pwd on both systems.

It will sync in both directions, but I use it as a one-way file replication tool

You can easily mirror the data even over FTP protocol itself. There are many programs for that. Wget is a standard piece on any unix.

Nodsu said:
You can easily mirror the data even over FTP protocol itself. There are many programs for that. Wget is a standard piece on any unix.
Sure; FTP is the transport and Wget is the sync control.

edit: SSH works everywhere and performs both client/server functions when installed on both systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back