FTP server with a dsl modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tribal-Phoenix

Hey , i got a problem settign up my ftp server, since im using dsl modem which dials my username automaticaly it gives me an ip address which is 192.168.2.1 so when i set up my server and try to access it though localhost everything is workign but when i pookup my internet ip and try to access my ftp with it it doesnt work , with ftp client it gives me and error that the connectoin has been refused adn with broswer it shows a message that access it denied , from my modem, if anyone knows if i can actualy ru na server with this thing and how

try setting to passive mode
also find out what your wan ip is and see if youcan add this to your config file
or in the setups
I am guess'n your modem is acting like a router and giving you a lan ip
of 192.168.2.1
you wil all so need to allow your nic card to be accessed
best by setup o static ip like 192.168.2.110
default 192.168.2.1 you will need the DNS server ip's
they may be in the modem's setup files
I never used the modem to control my system I used router to control modem
without the wan ip you will not have access to your server from a wide area client

You will have to configure your modem to redirect traffic coming to the FTP port (21) to your local IP (192.168.2.1). Look for a "virtual server" or "port forwarding" setting.

What samstone failed to coherently put down is that you should tell your computer not to acquire its IP address automatically from the router. You will have to put in an IP manually from the 192.168.2.x range and also enter the IP addresses of your ISP's name servers. You will find those addresses somewhere in your modem configuration.

With FTP there is the problem of active and passive file transfers too. The easiest way would be to make your FTP server run in active mode only but this would mean that many peope won't be able to transfer any data unless they configure their firewalls. Therefore it would be nice if you configured your FTP server to run in passive mode too. That will only work if you have a very intelligent firewall in the router (I doubt it) or if you can tell your FTP server program what port range it should use for passive mode.

bout port redirect my modem doesnt support that only functiopns it has it bridge connection and a reset button ,with login and pass fields , i have called my retarded isp and they said that they quarantie that the problem isnt with the modem, but they cant hel me, also u said to set up ip manualy and i do that from right click on lan but there are only 3 ccomponents "Client For Microsoft Networks", File and Printer Sharing , QoS Packet Scheduler , and i remeber that i probably had something else liek a client , but when i try to install a client or anythign else it gives me an error "Could not add the requested component This error is: The system cannot find the file specified , so or my pc is screwed up or its something else

The IP address is in the properties of the TCP/IP protocol.

Since your modem is Dumb then your only option is to set it to bridge mode and trust your security to the software firewall on your computer. If you have several computers then you need a router to share the bridged connection between them.

Nor we talkin' set up a bridge , between what and what do i need to do , and do i still have to go to tcp/ip protocol and screw it up :) or is the bridge gunna work without that

If you set up the modem as a bridge device then you will have to "dial" the DSL connection using your computer. The IP your computer gets will be assigned by your ISP and it will be your public internet address. Make sure you have a patched windows and a firewall in place.

No wonder ill have to use pc dial thing , coz i have connected my modem to my dlink router everything works perfectly , then tried switchign modem to bridge mode couldnt even access it after that, so anywyas u say i have to try using bridge, and what shoudl i choose on my router settings coz what i have right now is that modem dialing internet adn router is using its dynamic ip , so maybe instead of using pc dial thing i can just make my router do it for me or that isnt gunna work, bahh this whole internet thing seems so complicated , makes me just throw it all outta window

Thanks very much ppl i have managed to set up my ftp server but with just a modem by selecting brigde , but now i got another problem , can i use it with a router and a modem, coz right now i havw connected modem to a router net works perfectly but here we go again my ip address is 192.168.0.100 and i can access it from localhost but not from wan , btw port forwarding on the router is setup correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back