Fujitsu, Toshiba and Vaio reportedly considering merger of PC divisions

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The mobile revolution has taken a toll on the traditional PC industry in a way that few predicted. While PCs aren’t going away overnight, sales have certainly slowed down – a trend that has some considering drastic measures to remain relevant.

A new report from Japanese media outlet Nikkei claims Fujitsu, Toshiba and Sony spinoff Vaio are contemplating a possible merger of PC divisions. Combined, they’d create a “top player” with control of more than 30 percent of the Japanese market. Lenovo, the region’s current leader, controls 26.3 percent of the market.

The publication says each company would invest around 30 percent into the venture. Vaio would likely be the “surviving” company with assets from the other two being absorbed by the combined entity.

Each company brings something unique and valuable to the table. Toshiba, responsible for creating and popularizing the notebook computer, has its strength in the North American market with Europe being Fujitsu’s stronghold. Vaio, meanwhile, has strong brand recognition thanks to its association with Sony.

How big of an impact the combined company would have on the global market remains to be seen. In 2014, IDC notes that the trio had a combined market share of just six percent. Dell, HP and Lenovo, meanwhile, accounted for nearly half of the 308 million PCs that shipped last year.

The trio will soon begin negotiating, we’re told, with plans to finalize an agreement as early as this month. That timeline would allow them to launch the new company by April of 2016.

Permalink to story.

Fujitsu, Toshiba and Vaio reportedly considering merger of PC divisions
but still, FuToVa is not a nice brand name... ;)

seriously, it might be the right move for brand recognition, market penetration.
korea has two recognizable (smartphone, tablet pc, and tv) brand names: Samsung and LG.
japan has sony (smartphone, tablet pc, tv, ps consoles, film, etc) plus the others (storage, cars, motorcycles)
china has whatever...oppo, one plus, etc (for smartphone, tablet)...

Good riddance, now I can only blacklist a laptop brand instead of three.

I'm pretty sure most people here know about the vaio windows update fiasco, poor performance from toshiba back in those days where they really like to equip their laptop graphics with DDR2 memory instead of GDDR3. as for fujitsu, my beef is only with the thermal management. most of their laptops seems to not have adequate cooling for use in warm room.

of course the same cannot be said for JDM laptops. we all know export products from most japanese companies are set to lower standards than their 'local' counterparts.

but still, FuToVa is not a nice brand name... ;)
seriously, it might be the right move for brand recognition, market penetration....[ ]...
Are you speaking in terms of "market penetration", in a similar context to, "customer penetration"...:eek:

Are you speaking in terms of "market penetration", in a similar context to, "customer penetration"...:eek:
I am not sure if I was insulted for my lack of understanding of business terms or whatever. nevertheless, I say the merger, for lack of a better term, is somewhat near the consummation of marriage thingy.:p

I am not sure if I was insulted for my lack of understanding of business terms or whatever. nevertheless, I say the merger, for lack of a better term, is somewhat near the consummation of marriage thingy.:p
Well, as you may or may not know, CEOs throughout the ages have said of customers, "have them washed and brought to my tent".....:eek:

Back