Future Build Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright basically I am looking at the AM2 Socket and what it has to offer has so far appealed to me for the most part. Question is that its so new should I wait and pick up parts that are already out that are cheap or wait and see whats coming out after Christmas. My current computer is Satisfactory but I am curious.

Current Computer:

MSI Neo Platinum / diamond (not sure)

AMD 4000+ 939 PIN

(2 x 512) Corsair XMS

Seagate 250 Gig Baracuda

BFG 7800 GT OC

600 Watt PSU

What I am looking at in my future build if its is plausible to even begin picking up parts:

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe

Processor (undecided, because as I've read in other posts when I searched it is pretty limited) Possibly a X2 series Processor

(2 x 1GB) CORSAIR XMS2

Seagate Baracuda 320 GIG 7200 RPM 16MB Cache

Graphics Card and PSU are Dependent on themselve because of the new Direct X 10 which will probably make a difference in how much I will spend on them and how much power the gonna use but I am sure I am looking at the very least 550 Watt PSU.

your current rig is still very good, you should have no reason to need an upgrade at the moment.

and currently AM2 doesn't offer any huge performance boosts over 939. that will change once the K8L processors are released for AM2, but until then... just stick with what you have.

K8L will be AMD's answer to Intel's Conroe (Core 2 Duo). but that is just the beginning... they will also be bringing drop-in hyper-transport linked co-processors into play. these will replace stand alone video cards and physics cards. a system like that will be faster and more powerful than any PCI-E system out there.

neither one will be out before (or even right after) xmas, but it's just something to think about before building a new rig, when your current rig is still very good. (it puts mine to shame :))

Yea, I read about that in the Maximum PC magazine with the hyper transport. They are aslo buying up alot of Companys so they implement there key technologies into there new processors some of these companies have pretty amazing products and IP's.

Just for gab I also read that some College I think it maybe Kansas or Nebraska or possible some other entirely created Micro strips that actually act a mirco coolers that could be used to replace thermal grease or even be implemented into the processor itself. Just something I read but if you could maybe link me to some info on the K8L processors?

Thank you!

KingCody said:
they will also be bringing drop-in hyper-transport linked co-processors into play.
That will not be for the desktop & AM2. It's for servers using either Socket-940 (not compatible with AM2) or Socket-F. People at home have no use for systems such as those.

yep - a lot of nifty technologies like light emitting plastic and photo-voltaic (light powered) plastic are coming out. It will be interesting to see how these are implimented with computers.

Didou said:
That will not be for the desktop & AM2. It's for servers using either Socket-940 (not compatible with AM2) or Socket-F. People at home have no use for systems such as those.
you're right about people at home having no use for a system like you mentioned. but that's a different system than the kind that I was referring to.

I don't want to hijack this thread, I just wanted to let him know that his system is still really good, and to see what it coming in the not-so-distant future. I started a thread about it here

I looked at the some of the AM2 socket processors and I think there all along the lines of X2 series nothing else, could be mistaken but from what I looked at that was it.

The best thing AMD has coming is vast price drops with a long EOL list. Revision G should be out after Christmas, but not much improvement. K8L is expected in the middle of next year. If you want AM2 wait until July 24.
PRICE WAR!

I read else where that was in fact not what was to happen... Maybe they were incorrect I guess I certainly hope so make it cheaper on me but what ever.

Mirob said:
Here is some bad news ~ No AMD K8L processors until 2008
bad news? maybe. but I'm willing to bet they will come out sooner than that. with the anticipated price cuts coming soon profits will be low. they have no choice but to get the K8L out as fast as possible.

but AMD is also focusing on it's upcoming multi-socket cHT co-processor platforms. while the Conroes may perform better, they will not beat a dual CPU / dual GPU platform. Intel can make a similar platform, but the communications between sockets would have to go through the chipset, which cannot compare to a direct linked coherent hypertransport system.

there is some cool stuff coming from both companies, which to me is good news :)

TomCo said:
I read else where that was in fact not what was to happen... Maybe they were incorrect I guess I certainly hope so make it cheaper on me but what ever.
what's not going to happen?

...they will not beat a dual CPU / dual GPU platform.

If you have one, let's see the benchmarks, lol. Otherwise, your just blowing smoke. Kentsfields will be out about then too(ES chips are floating around now.) There will be the comparison--price, TDP, and performance. 4x4 will loose at lest two of those, maybe even all three. But let's see some numbers before making any invalid, false conclusions.

well they don't exist yet, so I obviously have no benchmarks.

but plain and simple... currently, a single high end dual core processor cannot beat two high end dual core processors on a single board.

The conroes are good, but not good enough to beat a double AMD dual core system with hypertransport linked video cards (or even better, cHT linked video and physics co=processors) for total system performance.

the kentsfields will be fast quad core processors, but like dual cores they still have to share a single L2 cache and still get bottlenecked by the chipset. This is where a double socket (with cHT linked dual core AM2s) system will have the advantage. Its not the CPUs themselves, but the cHT platform they're installed in that will be so good.

just to be fair, (although it will never happen) if you could theoretically put two kentsfields in a cHT 4x4 system, that would be amazing :D

The biggest problem with getting so many cores is that software seldom uses even two as yet. In a single threaded programs the best core wins. Reverse Hyperthreading sounds great, unfortunately it is nothing more than rumor and speculation until AMD confirms it. Intel is making tools available to developers that makes multi-threading easier. There really is no substitute for single core efficiency.

I not all that interested in it until they really hit the market. I personally probably wouldn't go to the dark side (intel) only because they seem like there to big already and they need all the competition the can get.

I guess I am more for the littler company which also seems to make higher quality products. I also prefer one that doesn't do underhanded things, but thats bisuness so I guess thats just my opinion. I stats speak for themselves, and it weren't for the competition we would have the Mircosoft Monopoly of OS's that we have right now but in processors that sucked. This is not the case lately but you hopefully you get my point.

The point I was getting at when I said I read else where that there were not going to be price drops the the X2 processors after the release for the Conroe. I hope so I can save money but whatever, maybe I will purchase a Intel setup but it'd be a first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back