Future PC Architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now here is something you dont hear a lot of croncrete stuff about....
Searched for a forum on this subject but found none, so here you have it.
Some questions if you please:
-Should we be going wider and/or faster, faster?
-Should we be standardising more?
-Should we be focusing on getting the OS completely right? Should it be free?
-Is the future of computing best left entirely in the hands of Corporates or should there be some Governance?
-What is the best all round PC architecture?
-Why do they still cost so much?
-Why cant I add my new system to my old system and get the power of both?

Many more where that came from but lets open the discussion......

1)The faster new technology is brought to the mainstream market, the faster prices on the "older" tech drops so it's a cycle that will benefit the consumer.

2)Standardization might help in some cases, but then that would mean either everyone has a gaming PC or they do not. That would be pretty limiting IMO.

3)Getting OSes right would not need to be the focus, since Service Packs/updates would eventually fix all the issues present in them. But yes, I do think they should be made cheaper. Free? I don't think that would help, since it would not give anyone incentive to develop something that's better and even if they do, they wouldn't be able to/willing to share it with the rest of the world.

4)Governments usually mess up things since in the end, they are able to get away with everything. Corporations depend on the end user's satisfaction to survive, so that would be a better thing. But a merging of the two ideas, such as greater governmental control over corporations regarding research wouldn't be such a bad idea.

5)This is debatable and bound to change, according to the first question, so it really isn't valid. ;)

6)PC costs have reduced quite a lot since the late 1990s. So I don't think they cost too much.

7)Well that's because new tech always phases out old tech since companies need to sell the new tech more to earn more money to research more "new tech" and recover the cost/make a profit off of producing the recently released "new tech" that is going to become "old tech" in some years' time. They don't want you to use the old parts with the new ones since the new ones "perform better" and also get them heftier profits. And so the cycle continues...;)

No I think there is in terms of size and space. Cases are getting larger and larger. There should be focus on efficiently managing the space inside a case.

Also, old PCs are basically just chucked into huge landfills and they sit there, polluting the environment. They should at least be taken apart so their parts can be re-used.

And as per my previous reply, I do think changes are needed in some places, just not very drastic ones, that's all.

I think it is time we get rid of the standard HDD in favor of a reliable flash based system, or at least an implementations of the hybrid drives Microsoft was talking about awhile back.

It would be nice to used old systems as some sort of parallel computing system. Maybe have them work on certain backround tasks while being conected via a fiber cable or something. I know its kinda out there and it will never happen but I can dream cant I?

Sean

I think that we are going to see a repeat of the 80s (perhaps late 70s-early90s depending on where you look) where parts once again are going to be contained on fewer chips. Just as an example, math coprocessors vanished when processors were able to handle it themselves. This is already happening to an extent with sound cards, 10+ years ago if you didn't have a sound card for your computer you either had no sound or terrible sound, now you can have 7.1 sound onboard. Same with NICs. Video seems to be a major hurdle because the performance difference between a good PCIe is vastly superior to a good onboard.

So while I still think that perhaps video may get back onboard, I believe what is needed the soonest is smaller video cards and reduced power consumption for the same performance. The sizes of high end video cards are insane, you damn near need a full tower to accommodate them, and taking 2 power connectors and needing a good quality 500W PSU is outrageous.

At Last; An Idle Speculation Forum........

Percell said:
Now here is something you dont hear a lot of croncrete stuff about....
Searched for a forum on this subject but found none, so here you have it.
Some questions if you please:
-Should we be going wider and/or faster, faster?
-Should we be standardising more?
-Should we be focusing on getting the OS completely right? Should it be free?
-Is the future of computing best left entirely in the hands of Corporates or should there be some Governance?
-What is the best all round PC architecture?
-Why do they still cost so much?
-Why cant I add my new system to my old system and get the power of both?

Many more where that came from but lets open the discussion......

First, unless you're an R&D electronics engineer, I would ask, "just who exactly is we"?
Wider is faster and you'll get after they almost perfect it.
Universal P&P works quite well, thank you very much.

The OS pretty much standardized now, in practical terms M$ is an evil monopoly, but as Bill Gates explains it, it's for or own good. If you live in the third world, you'll likely soon be able to get Windows almost free. After all we need to address the important things first, and not worry about trivial things like food, water, and medicine. Besides with everyone turned into computer geeks, cruising the internet, they won't have so much time to make more babies that ultimately would have starved to death anyway.

We should have a communist computer state, where all the technological improvements come from the government. Then all the CEOs should be rounded up and executed. After all did anyone actually mourn Ken Lay's suicide.
You should get your computers, software, and upgrades for free. It's high time we brought the welfare state to personal computing.

Could you explain computer architecture to me, so that I might appreciate which type is the best.

"Why can't I add my old system to my new system........"
Because sometimes you need to flush the toilet and start over. The old one isn't going to do what you imagine that other people should design and give you for free!

All in all forensic debate is a worthwhile pursuit, and I enjoy it heartily. The fact does remain that this isn't actually an "Other Hardware" issue. This is a subject better suited to the "TS Community" forums, rather than here where the guys are actually trying to help people get the old and obsolete $#%^ running. Hopefully this will still be happening in 2020 when the technology you eschew actually exists.

Did any of that answer your questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back