G card and power supply

I have an el1630g and I wanted to install a VGA 210 G card. I disabled the integrated card hit the f2 and enabled the PCI saved and exit. still got a flash of green then just black so I'm thinking the power supply it has a 210w. so looked at what some other people was posting and came across this 480W Upgrade Power supply for HP Pavilion P6000 same wire and plug set up but it will not fit in my tower. So I'm wondering can I leave it outside of the tower plug everything in and it still works. Or is there some reason that I can not do that.

I'm confused... el1630g ? ...unsure what that is. I'm supposing that the VGA 210 G is a GeForce 210 which needs 30 watts that your 220w PSU may or may not have. Please clarify.

Do try the 210 in another PC, to confirm it works.

I'm confused... el1630g ? ...unsure what that is. I'm supposing that the VGA 210 G is a GeForce 210 which needs 30 watts that your 220w PSU may or may not have. Please clarify.

Do try the 210 in another PC, to confirm it works.
the el1630g is an e-machine will try g card in another PC

I think you may actually have a eMachines 1360G (http://panam.gateway.com/emachines/desktop/2011/emachines/el/EL1360G/EL1360Gsp2.shtml ).

If so, then CPU takes only 18w - so I think your system only uses 160w-170w and 30w for the GeForce 210 should be tight but OK. The motherboard has one PCI Express® x 16 slot (but it is limited to only PCI Express® 2.0 x4 bandwidth). I wonder if E-machines has a tested and compatible list of graphics cards for this unit.

There may have been more to change in BIOS - can you check your manual? Does your manual say anything about using an expansion card?

I wouldn't rush to buy the 480W just yet - it may not be all that is needed. Further, this unit is about 5 years old and this is when things may start to break down.

It is possible that a back to school special (even a manufacturer's refurb) might be an attractive purchase (Staples can have some nice deals like http://www.staples.com/Refurbished-...-RAM-80GB-SSD-Windows-10-Home/product_2425499 )

It's not the power supply, you've got plenty of spare power and the G210 uses hardly any.

Have you connected the video cable to your graphics card? You obviously won't get a signal from the ports you're using before because you've disabled the graphics connected to them.

Are you using the same cable as before? If you've switched to a different connection on your monitor then you may need to use the monitor's on screen display to switch inputs.

Can I ask why you're attempting to install a G210? It's older than your integrated graphics and won't be much faster (if at all). It would support two monitor outputs but as your machine has two outputs I'd think there's a good chance you can do that already.

Back