GA-G33M-DS2R / Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space_Cowboy

Has anyone with a GigaByte GA-G33M-DS2R had any problems overclocking the processor?

Config:
Mobo: GA-G33M-DS2R
CPU: Q6600
Memory: 8MB Corsair Dominator
Gigabyte GalaxyII Liquid Cooled

I can clock the memory @ 2v without any problems, but as soon as I start playing with the CPU things start going crazy. If I attempt to push it to anything over .05, the system will automatically reboot on me. Gigabyte opened up a ticket, but whoopie... that helps!

Thanks

what do you mean when you say ".05"... .05 what? volts?

judging by your post, it seems like you are just raising the voltage for no reason. this may not be the case, but that's what it looks like based on what you typed.

hopefully you're not raising the voltage until it's necessary to do so (only after you have achieved the maximum overclock with the default voltage). what are your other overclock settings at during this "attempted" overclock? (FSB, CPU multi, RAM speed/multi, vcore, vdimm, etc)

:rolleyes:

no... not voltage... CPU frequency. As stated, the only component that was overclocked and stable was my memory, which was overclocked to 2volts (max suggested by Corsair). As soon as you start playing with the CPU frequency, things starts acting up.

This is my first attempt at ever overclocking, so if I'm not clear on my comments... sorry.

you don't overclock "to 2volts". increasing voltage does NOT overclock anything. it only helps to stabilize an unstable overclock. you should NOT be increasing voltage to any component until it is necessary to do so for stabilty reasons.

in your case you have NO REASON to be increasing voltages at all! you're just going to end up overheating and/or burning up your memory that way.

if you're just starting out at overclocking, then do yourself a favor and put your voltages back to default before you burn up your CPU/mobo/RAM. you need to read up more on how to overclock. it's pretty simple but you need to learn the basics first. do a google search for overclocking guides, there are plenty of good ones out there (that's how I learned... years ago ;))

when you can explain what each of the following terms are and how they relate to each other then you are ready to overclock.
  • CPU internal frequency
  • CPU external frequency
  • FSB actual speed
  • FSB effective speed
  • CPU multiplier
  • VCORE
  • DDR/DDR2 RAM actual speed
  • DDR/DDR2 RAM effective speed
  • RAM ratio (multiplier or divider)
  • RAM latency/timings
  • VDIMM
they are all important and they all effect each other, so if you don't know what any of them mean and how they relate to each other then leave all settings at defaut values until you learn. after you have searched and read up a little more, if you still have questions feel free to ask

:wave:

Thanks for your 'candid' arrogance and making someone feel welcome to ask questions!

FYI... I was only following the MOBO MANUFACTURER instructions in setting the memory voltage! I also confirmed with the memory manufacturer if it would harm the memory. I would think they know their own hardware. Besides, the memory is heat sync'd AND has a Dominator fan system sitting on top of the memory. I seriously doubt it will burn up as long as I following the mfg specs.

2v is fine for that memory.
From what I can understand of your specs, you're running a quad core (which will restrict you from high-end overclocking), running 4 sticks of ram (which will make mid-range overclocking difficult) and running a 64bit OS. Yep. More sensitive to overclocking. I'm not trying to convince you not to OC, or that your computer is rubbish, just don't expect to hit as high as everyone else!
I'm pretty unlucky with cpu's so far, my a64 needed more power to get above 2.2ghz and my core 2's max at stock volts is 2.7, so don't fret.
Good luck, push it slowly and you'll get the most out of your system.

Space_Cowboy said:
I was only following the MOBO MANUFACTURER instructions in setting the memory voltage! I also confirmed with the memory manufacturer if it would harm the memory. I would think they know their own hardware. Besides, the memory is heat sync'd AND has a Dominator fan system sitting on top of the memory

you seem to be missing the point here...

the point was... you don't overclock to a certain voltage, you overclock to a certain frequency (then AND ONLY THEN raise the voltage if it is unstable or you have hit your maximum speed at the previous voltage).

I wasn't saying that raising the voltage is bad or the way you did it was wrong. there's nothing wrong with the way you raised the voltage or the specific voltage you raised it to. what you did wrong was you raised the voltage for the wrong reason (in this case, for no reason because you didn't actually overclock the RAM, you just overvolted it).

what i tried to explain in my "candid arrogance" (I like that one, hehe :haha:) was that raising the voltage too high can AND WILL destroy components (such as a CPU or RAM) and will do nothing by itself to increase performance. so you should not do it until you learn a little more about overclocking.

Space_Cowboy said:
I seriously doubt it will burn up as long as I following the mfg specs.
your right, it probably won't. but how was I to know you would only raise the voltage the the maximum mfg specs? you already raised it when you shouldn't have, so it ws only natural to assume that you didn't know when to stop raising it either :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to put you down, I'm only trying to warn you of the dangers of "overclocking ignorance" (not dangerous to you, but to your system itself). I am happy to help you, but you need to be willing to learn and to accept friendly criticism (instead of getting defensive). I/we can still help you figure out why you are having trouble overclocking your CPU but we need more info. earlier I asked "what are your other overclock settings ~ (FSB, CPU multi, RAM speed/multi, vcore, vdimm, etc)". once you answer this question, we will be able to help you determine what is holding back your CPU overclock.

:wave:

Cody, have you any experience with high end rams? They often won't work properly at stock ddr2 voltage (1.8v), even running at stock speeds and their default SPD timings.
And I think you might have missed the point in buying ram with such huge sinks on it: so you can run it at higher volts from the get-go, and not worry about one more voltage being the limiting factor in your overclock.
But of course, I'm sure you have your own reasons why you think the engineers at Corsair are wrong for telling someone that they can run their ram at higher volts.

Can I jack this thread?

I have the same motherboard - GA-G33M-DS2R - But with an E6750. I'd like to do a mild OC - stability before speed. My memory is 4x512 Kingston Valueram DDR2-667, which I think is fine for my current use - 333mhz fsb, 333 mhz memory, good, right? But.. If I go with something around 8x375 for 3.0ghz.. Is it really necessary to buy faster ram?

My other option is to just buy 2x1gb of Corsair XMS2 1066mhz (compusa has a sale ATM), run the FSB at 400mhz for 3.2ghz, underclock the ram to 800mhz and run better timings.. Er, thoughts? I don't want to go crazy with the thing, it's going to be using the stock HSF..

overzealot said:
have you any experience with high end rams? They often won't work properly at stock ddr2 voltage (1.8v)
ok... what's your point? if the manufacturer says the RAM should be set to 2v then that is the RAM's default voltage. space_cowboy specifically stated "my memory, which was overclocked to 2volts" which implies that he set the RAM's voltage above it's default voltage :rolleyes:

overzealot said:
And I think you might have missed the point in buying ram with such huge sinks on it: so you can run it at higher volts from the get-go, and not worry about one more voltage being the limiting factor in your overclock
you obviously did NOT read my post correctly, which stated "I wasn't saying that raising the voltage is bad or the way you did it was wrong. there's nothing wrong with the way you raised the voltage or the specific voltage you raised it to. what you did wrong was you raised the voltage for the wrong reason (in this case, for no reason because you didn't actually overclock the RAM, you just overvolted it)"

just because the RAM has a heatsink on it is not a reason to raise voltages just for the hell of it. the heatsinks allow the RAM to dissipate more heat than a standard RAM stick (which may allow you to raise the voltage higher). but heatsink or no heatsink, the same rule applies... you don't raise voltages until you need to. if you choose to do that with your system then that's fine, but you should not be telling inexperienced overclockers that it's ok to raise their voltages above the component's default value just because you can.

overzealot said:
I'm sure you have your own reasons why you think the engineers at Corsair are wrong for telling someone that they can run their ram at higher volts.
that's funny, i don't recall ever saying that. in fact what I said was "there's nothing wrong with the way you raised the voltage or the specific voltage you raised it to". I advise you to read posts a little better next time instead of picking fights with people over things they never even said. :evil:

:rolleyes:

He's running the ram at 2v. Which is .2v above ddr2 default voltage. Which means that it is overvolted. But the manufacturer tests them and sells them as a certain speed, with certain latency, and a certain voltage. None of the dominator series is certified for less than 2.2v. So, he's still undervolting them, according to the ram specifications of the manufacturer (and your statement). We can argue about wording until the cows come home, because we are both right and wrong.

Trust me, I'm reading your replies AND comprehending them, that accusation is getting old fast.

I was simply recommending that he stay within manufacturers recommendations, which he was. By a significant margin.

KingCody said:
I advise you to read posts a little better next time instead of picking fights with people over things they never even said.
Same back at ya!

What we truly need is additional precise info from the OP, but we'll just have to wait for that.

Ratbuddy: Don't buy new ram without testing with your current ram.
Might as well see what you can get with what you've got.
As I said before running 4 sticks will probably limit your overclock very prematurely. But you don't know how much until you try, so try!
Keep in mind that DDR 667 cl4 runs the same chips as as DDR 800 cl5, but the 800 can cost 20-50% more. You might get marginally more performance with them, but the premium you pay makes it bad value. If you're going to buy higher frequency, buy lower latency. It costs more but that's because there's a tangible difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back