Gainward BLISS 7800GS+ power problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Seuss

i recently upgraded my Gainward Geforce FX5700 Ultra to a Gainward BLISS 7800GS+. i was fully expecting my new card to require its own power but the adapter that Gainward sent to me to change the molex plug into a 6pin plug allows for 2 molex plugs to be plugged in....
does this mean the card needs 2 power plugs? i currently have it running with 1 plugged in, what would happen if i plugged another into it? (or should this just not be done?!?)

any help would be nice on this....before the urge to plug another molex plug becomes too strong and i damage the card

Many Thanks

well theres only 1 6pin plug so it cant be for SLi, both molex plugs go to the same 6 pin plug on the graphics card

To put you mind at rest, I've had both connected since I got my card 4 months ago. The 6 pin plug has 2 yellow (12v) wires, whereas a molex connector only has one.

You speak as if the two molex plugs are both female. Could one of them be a male and the other female? A lot of times adapters will have a molex (male) connector split off so it can be used to power another accessory. This is handy if your power supply has limited molex connectors.

no the manual doesnt say anything..."plug in the power connector". yeah both the molex plugs are FEMALE leading to a single 6pin plug on the graphics card...it looks like you can plug 2 molex plugs from your power supply into the graphics card....but the question is should i?

Not aware of any 7800GS that have TWO power connections. however, if there are two, one would assume it needs two. If your connectors are of the wrong type, you'll need a gender-bender.

Have a look at this THREAD, or have a look at the system requirements on the side of the box (thought I saw it somewhere).

A minimum 400W power supply and 'TWO' unused HDD power connectors.

Wow, ive never posted something on here before that hasnt just had a straight answer. im not sure why Gainward dont sell the 7800GS in the states but i know why they dont sell the BLISS 7800GS+ and thats because they only made a small number of them (1500) so they aimed they at the biggest market which is Europe

and peterdiva you're right, on the side of the box it does say "..and two unused HDD power connectors..." so ive plugged the other one in. cant see the benefit though, it was running fine with 1

the 7800 gs plus would be a big seller in the us - many people with agp systems would rather upgrade their video cards instead of their whole system to pcie

K@in said:
the 7800 gs plus would be a big seller in the us - many people with agp systems would rather upgrade their video cards instead of their whole system to pcie

I happen to agree with you, looks to me like that would be a big seller!

I bought the eVGA 7800GS CO a few months back. That one and one from BFG are overclocked, guess people in the US just get those.

I would happily post the Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800GS+ to the states if you cant get it over there. the card is awesome and people should be able to enjoy what it offers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back