Galaxy S6's curved screen variant will sport a dual curved-edge display, says Bloomberg

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Samsung's upcoming flagship smartphone will be available in two versions, with one sporting a dual curved-edge display which covers the front, left and right sides of the device, while the other will only have a standard non-curved front-facing display, according to a Bloomberg report.

Both devices are expected to have all-metal bodies as well as 5.1-inch screens, and will be powered by Samsung’s most advanced chipsets. The handsets were originally supposed to be powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 chipset, but the South Korean company reportedly ditched the SoC after detecting overheating issues during its internal testing.

Just last week Samsung issued press invitations to its next Unpacked media event which is scheduled for March 1, a day ahead of the annual Mobile World Congress (MWC) trade show in Barcelona, Spain.

The invitations featured an image of a curved line that clearly resembles the shape of the Note Edge, which was unveiled in September last year and became the company's first device to sport a multiple-sided screen, although its sloping display bends only on one side. It was recently revealed that 630,000 units of the device have been shipped since its launch.

The Bloomberg report also notes that both versions of the upcoming flagship, likely to be called the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, have been developed under the codename of Project Zero, and are expected to be unveiled at the March event.

Permalink to story.

A bent screen protruding this much calls for privacy concern, especially when on public transport.

Three great comments as per why this is NOT a terribly good idea, now can anyone explain why this IS a good idea? I honestly don't see the point to having the edges curve off in this manner. Viewing angles would be completely messed up, even in the picture it's difficult to make out the edges. What about holding it in your hand? I often find my fingers already border the edges of my screen, now you'll just be interfering with the touch layer constantly, or at least anyone with big hands will be. Other than looking good on a display stand, and perhaps some miss understood bragging rights for the daft, I really hope that's just a prototype.

Eh, I'll wait for the finished, official product to be announced. Initially, it seems silly - but the multi-billion dollar, largest mobile phone maker on the planet wouldn't release their flagship phone with very little to no practicality to the device. They didn't get to the top by derpage.

There's a chance it'll be a flop, yes, but there are higher odds that loads will flock to this new device once they know what it is - just like their whole Galaxy S line has been before.

Three great comments as per why this is NOT a terribly good idea, now can anyone explain why this IS a good idea? I honestly don't see the point to having the edges curve off in this manner. Viewing angles would be completely messed up, even in the picture it's difficult to make out the edges. What about holding it in your hand? I often find my fingers already border the edges of my screen, now you'll just be interfering with the touch layer constantly, or at least anyone with big hands will be. Other than looking good on a display stand, and perhaps some miss understood bragging rights for the daft, I really hope that's just a prototype.

Enough people drop their phones and destroy them by not holding on to them well enough with a properly executed kung fu grip! What were they thinking when they made this prototype that will cause more broken pho... Ah. I get it now.

And I fail to see how it is a fact. Is this a problem with phones? Phones don't have such a huge bezel, case in point this very thread.

And I fail to see how it is a fact. Is this a problem with phones? Phones don't have such a huge bezel, case in point this very thread.
You asked about bezel for monitors, and got the answer. Color bleeding happens only on large screens, not applicable to portable devices such as phones, although it does happen on some of the tablets.

OMG, it is a pixelated screen with a bright light behind it. The same technique use on phones can be used on monitors. The fact that you see bleeding in a larger screen suggest it does not use the same edging as the smaller screen. You are giving me a bogus excuse for my reasoning, as to why monitor screens can use smaller bezels.

Goddamn I should have known my enthusiasm for the bezel-free edging in this phone, wishing it was used on monitors would turn into trolling. I know it can be done, they are just not doing it.

Back