Galaxy S6's curved screen variant will sport a dual curved-edge display, says Bloomberg

1. Samsung's upcoming flagship smartphone will be available in two versions, with one sporting a dual curved-edge display which covers the front, left and right sides of the device, while the other will only have a standard non-curved front-facing display, according to...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,349   +1,945

I hope those virtual control buttons are just photoshopped.
    Wendig0 likes this.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,379

A bent screen protruding this much calls for privacy concern, especially when on public transport.
  4. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,144   +486

If you drop the edge, you might as well kiss your screen goodbye (unless it lands on its back).
  5. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,619   +498

Three great comments as per why this is NOT a terribly good idea, now can anyone explain why this IS a good idea? I honestly don't see the point to having the edges curve off in this manner. Viewing angles would be completely messed up, even in the picture it's difficult to make out the edges. What about holding it in your hand? I often find my fingers already border the edges of my screen, now you'll just be interfering with the touch layer constantly, or at least anyone with big hands will be. Other than looking good on a display stand, and perhaps some miss understood bragging rights for the daft, I really hope that's just a prototype.
    ikesmasher likes this.
  6. That curved edge screen looks ridiculous.
  7. Hexic

Hexic TS Addict Posts: 272   +127

Eh, I'll wait for the finished, official product to be announced. Initially, it seems silly - but the multi-billion dollar, largest mobile phone maker on the planet wouldn't release their flagship phone with very little to no practicality to the device. They didn't get to the top by derpage.

There's a chance it'll be a flop, yes, but there are higher odds that loads will flock to this new device once they know what it is - just like their whole Galaxy S line has been before.
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Tell me again why a monitor needs a bezel.
  9. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,588   +278

Enough people drop their phones and destroy them by not holding on to them well enough with a properly executed kung fu grip! What were they thinking when they made this prototype that will cause more broken pho... Ah. I get it now.
  10. Frank Barnett

Frank Barnett TS Rookie Posts: 61   +6

To keep it ugly so nobody steals it.
  11. VitalyT

To reduce the light bleeding effect.
  12. cliffordcooley

Hahaha, that's like suggesting you can't cut the tree in your yard to keep your dog from running away.
  13. VitalyT

I meant color bleeding, of course, and just stated the fact, you make the analogy as you want.
  14. cliffordcooley

And I fail to see how it is a fact. Is this a problem with phones? Phones don't have such a huge bezel, case in point this very thread.
  15. VitalyT

You asked about bezel for monitors, and got the answer. Color bleeding happens only on large screens, not applicable to portable devices such as phones, although it does happen on some of the tablets.
    Adhmuz likes this.
  16. cliffordcooley

OMG, it is a pixelated screen with a bright light behind it. The same technique use on phones can be used on monitors. The fact that you see bleeding in a larger screen suggest it does not use the same edging as the smaller screen. You are giving me a bogus excuse for my reasoning, as to why monitor screens can use smaller bezels.

Goddamn I should have known my enthusiasm for the bezel-free edging in this phone, wishing it was used on monitors would turn into trolling. I know it can be done, they are just not doing it.