Galaxy S7 rumor roundup: magnesium body with glass back, January debut, Tidal and more

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung’s next flagship smartphone may arrive earlier than expected if the latest rumors on the matter are to be believed. Multiple sources in the supply chain tell the Electronic Times that Samsung has finalized the design of the Galaxy S7 and that the company is currently working with parts makers ahead of production.

The South Korean tech giant traditionally waits until Mobile World Congress in late February / early March to announce the season’s new Galaxy handset. Increased competition from rival Apple, however, spurred Samsung to move up the launch date of the Galaxy Note 5 by several weeks in order to get the phone to market before the arrival of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus in mid-September.

In related news, SamMobile points to a report out of China that claims the Galaxy S7 will feature a magnesium alloy body and a glass backside like we saw with the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge. A separate report, meanwhile, suggests Samsung will use ESS Technology’s SABRE 9018AQ2M 32-bit DAC converter chip which features a DNR of 129dB and THD+N of -120dB.

News of the DAC chip is especially interesting considering recent rumors that Jay-Z may be interested in offloading streaming music service Tidal. Variety notes that the rapper was seen leaving Samsung Research America last week. At the very least, Samsung may have an interest in striking up a partnership with Tidal to bolster (or replace?) its oddly-named Milk Music streaming service.

Permalink to story.

I like Tidal, but will free streaming around I doubt I'll ever pay for music. But premium quality music needs premium quality headphones. They have yet to create one. Cutting a deal with SMS, Skullcandy or even for a rebrand headphone could fix that. Samsung is still a disgraceful company, no morals.

I like Tidal, but will free streaming around I doubt I'll ever pay for music. But premium quality music needs premium quality headphones. They have yet to create one. Cutting a deal with SMS, Skullcandy or even for a rebrand headphone could fix that. Samsung is still a disgraceful company, no morals.
"Samsung is still a disgraceful company, no morals".
In other words they are exactly the same as any other juggernaut tech co. out there. You don't get to the top by being Mr Nice Guy.

No doubt it'll be another device to salivate over but nowhere near worth the asking price. If flagship models could remain relevant for 5-7 years then they might be worth it, unfortunately things don't work that way, especially as far as tech is concerned.

did you just imply SMS and Skullcandy are good or did I just read wrong? Not a fan of Tidal either, specially their marketing, brand and how it was originally promoted ... But, if you are audiophile, a way to go without maxing out drive space.

Last edited:
If it really comes out in january, that just seems excessive. the S6 just came out in march! Which also means the s6 may not get android 6.0 at all, or at best, itll get it a year from now.

did you just imply SMS and Skullcandy are good or did I just read wrong? Not a fan of Tidal either, specially their marketing, brand and how it was originally promoted ... But, if you are audiophile, a way to go without maxing out drive space.

The three companies mentioned had already proposed a deal with Tidal. They could have provided fair enough compatible headphones, but Tidal refused because of their pride. And yes their business style is a little to scratch head about but I think they could have pulled it off.

If it really comes out in january, that just seems excessive. the S6 just came out in march! Which also means the s6 may not get android 6.0 at all, or at best, itll get it a year from now.

I still use my S4... But without changable batteries, or extended memory, I'll be keeping it or going LG G4 for my next one. Don't care what number they slap on the next thing if it doesn't have the options I need then it isn't any good to me.

Which also means the s6 may not get android 6.0 at all, or at best, itll get it a year from now.
Silly rabbit, Trix are for... oops, wrong line. Silly user, new software is for new hardware.

Basically it comes down to this... Want software updates? BUY A NEW PHONE! We have this new model over here.

Has ANYONE seen sales figures for the Note 5!?? I still have not! This is leading me to believe that I may not be the only one who speaks my wallet.
No microSD card slot, no removable battery? no thank you.

This earlier release is purely to get on top of Apple. Once the S7 is released the S8 I am sure will be in 12 months but by changing this date they have changed their whole schedule not just for next year but for many more years. Also don't worry about Marshmallow it is coming to the s6 still infact its even coming to the S5. It is normally around this time of the year (well Nov) when Samsung begins to roll out updates to its phones but this whole process is long-winded and more than likely will take atleast 6 months before all carriers are offering the update.

For me the only thing I would like in a new phone is a microsd slot, I am not bothered about removable batteries as I often have a 10,000mAh charger I take out a lot (great on planes). And by time the battery is no longer holding a decent charge I have already binned it and bought a new one. I love high resolutions but for a screen so small we know it becomes pointless and driving games etc @4k/60 isn't going to suite a mobile device anyways. I think a good phone would be

5.2" screen, running around 2K something amoled, really bright and vibrant and 1 or 2mm TOPs bezel design
Quad 2.5Ghz (maybe 2.1Gz Oct)
4Gb Ram
128Gb Memory (just get rid of all the different memory variants)
Some new fancy tech where the screen is a front mounted speaker. I hate rear mounted speakers, you always have to cup you hands to get good volume. I also hate front mounted speakers that look fugly. But if somehow they could make it so the screen could act as a speaker (like those window mounted speakers) that could be pretty awesome.
Wireless charging as standard
MicroSD slot (or make all devices 200Gb)
Camera with fast shutter speed (phone cameras are designed for taking quick photos to remember moments, not for master pieces, to do this it needs to be fast)
Remove all front physical buttons, use this space for the screen itself. a device should have side buttons, you could even have touch capacitive buttons on the side.

Last edited:
Back