Galaxy S7 will reportedly be available in two sizes, set to go into production in February

midian182

Staff member

Samsung’s next iteration of its flagship Galaxy S series of smartphones – the Galaxy S7 – will launch sooner than expected and be released with two different screen sizes, according to a report from South Korea’s ET News.

The standard version of the S7 will reportedly have a 5.2-inch flat display, while the ‘Edge’ version will boast a curved, 5.5-inch screen. This year’s Galaxy S6 was launched with flat and curved versions, but featured the same 5.1-inch screen. There was also the larger S6 Edge+, but that came out months after the original two S6 smartphones.

The site’s anonymous sources also claim that Samsung will finish development of the S7 by January and start mass-production a month later. The company is reportedly preparing an initial production run of around 5 million units – 3.3 million of the flat-screen device and about 1.6 million of the Edge version.

Traditionally, Samsung’s Galaxy S smartphones are announced just before the annual Mobile World Congress (MWC) event in Barcelona, before going on sale in April. This year, the MWC is being held from February 22nd to the 25th, so an S7 announcement may come on the 19th.

The precise release date of the S7 is still not known, although The Wall Street Journal has suggested that it will go on sale in mid-March. There are reports that the phone will feature a pressure-sensitive screen similar to Apple’s 3D Touch display found in the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. Samsung's upcoming smartphone is also said to look similar to the S6, but include a faster processor, better camera, longer battery life and a high-speed charging port.

Releasing the S7 during Q1 2016 means that sales of the device will be included in the company's first-quarter figures, which were predicted to be significantly weaker than last year's. If the S7 stuck to a traditional April release, Samsung’s Q1 figures would then rely on the Galaxy S6 range which, despite being critically acclaimed and winning TechSpot’s best smartphone of 2015, hasn’t sold in the quantities that Samsung hoped it would.

Permalink to story.

Like anybody cares anymore
There are millions who care otherwise it wouldn't be in the news so much. I'm interested to see the final product but of course it won't be on my shopping list. I won't buy flagship devices, they're quite unnecessary for my needs, not to mention stupidly overpriced.

First, no removable battery, no sd card, now two sizes, c`mon guys, what`s next? Lose the menu and back button? Maybe you should also work on a fruit logo while you`re at it.

I still love my GN4 and skipped getting the S5 and S6 series. Hopefully the S7 will be the one I can upgrade to. I hope the S7 will at least bring back the IR and microSD card options

First, no removable battery, no sd card, now two sizes, c`mon guys, what`s next? Lose the menu and back button? Maybe you should also work on a fruit logo while you`re at it.

They should just call it the 'iGalaxy'.

I think Samsung made a Critical error is evaluating Apple's success. They think that doing similar things will work for them; but the overlooked the fact that apple is for the "less technically able" folks, while android is for the "more technically aware" folks.
When you take away things that people use and rely on, you'll eventually loose those customers; and this is happening ever since Note5 IMO.

BTW, any sales stats on Note 5 and how it compares to Note 4? I wanna guess that even how Note 4 is selling better than the 5.

Unfortunately, Samsung has been a disappointment too many times. I have had several Galaxy phones, but the bloatware and customization has been a failure. It takes forever for Samsung to fix bugs and if they ever do. You rarely get updated to the latest version of Android and the phones are obsolete far sooner than other phones.

"despite being critically acclaimed and winning TechSpot’s best smartphone of 2015"

also a despite, which is to say that taking important things out and adding nothing compelling doth Not equal 'Best' to some readers (and arguably Many, given the sales figures).

aka "95" score, my @ss, some don't think that the Inability to easily transfer their pix and music = Best, no matter how many times it is repeated. They conceivably laugh out loud at anyone who would Positively exclaim that paying for a high memory version, transferring your existing (and speed insensitive) 64GB of stuff to that expensive and unnecessary memory, and to keep doing it every time we upgrade, is an Improvement for the buyer.

</rant>

Don`t understand, they really want to remove useful details from the phones so that in the case of the breaking parts you should buy the next phone?) I`m really interested, but Samsung is not the only one manufacturers of phones. There are also competitors which can recommend the alternative..It`s not a good offer from a such big company..=||

Back