PS: 550W
Video: Asus 8800 GT
Mem: 2GB
Store: 400GB

I have underclocked, i have added more fans. So there is no overheating

I did run a program called Prime95 and it gave me this message

FATAL ERROR:Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware Failure Detected consult stress.txt file

Does anybody know what that means, and is there any other program i can use to find out what hardware is messed up. Thx

...probably caused by that underclock. Why not just run the cpu at the recommended speed? As long as you use a good cooler, it won't overheat.

the test only runs for about 5 mins and gives me the error. is there another program out that tell me exact problems or what hardware is "broken". and overclocking and underclocking is not the issue, it crashes in both modes.

Sounds like a conflict between devices then... Do you get any "Error Reports" or anything after the games crash? Usually games will dump error information into little text files. You could also check the Event Viewer and see more information on the error and if any files are involved. In that case, all you would need to do is find an update or fix for the file.

I did it with dropped voltages and without. Also the games just lock the computer and i have to reboot. what exactly would i be looking for in the event folder.

Event viewer through Admin tools, look for errors in the time frame of your crashes

Get event ID and source

Go to eventid.net and plug in id and source

sometimes you will get details like that.

Or you can click the paperclip icon above your next reply and navigate to your c:\windows\minidump\minidump.dmp attach the last 2 or 3 minidumps here

Hey, I was getting exact problem 2 days ago. Indeed not only games, but every programs crashed after few minutes. This started on my comp when I was experimenting with RAM. My mobo supports 533Mhz DDR2 but I was using 666Mhz RAM. When I changed it, to 533Mhz RAM, again there is no such issues. Try to change your RAM.
May be its incompatialbe with your motherboard.

Hi, what OS are you using? Also if you are using Windows Vista, not all versions of prime95 work properly. There is one version that I've found that works with vista, and that one has a green icon. Anyways, it seems to me that either:
1. I/O Device Conflict (Check Device Manager)
2. CPU overheating (make sure you correctly placed the cooler/thermalpaste)
3. BIOS settings are not properly set (Do a BIOS default)
4. Damaged the CPU during underclocking
My question is, did the CPU do this before you underclocked, or not. If it didn't, then you may have damaged it. In order to get the CPU back and running properly at normal voltage, you have to set it to its maximum safe voltage, and run it for a couple of hours, don't stress it. Then set it back to a normal voltage; default voltage, and don't underclock it. Why would you want to underclock a CPU anyways, with the specs you have? When you underclock a CPU, it can sometimes damage it more than overclocking, because you are forcing all your components to run underspec.

EDIT: I also agree with "thehacker", but not entirely, because his ASUS Crosshair motherboard supports very fast DDR2 RAM. Earthdigger, you should post your RAM specs as well.

Drivers are upgraded. no overheating at all. This problem occurs when overclocked and normal state. besides my mobo and 8800gt come overclocked
the ram thing sounds like a plan. but mine can have 800 667 and 533 on it. And i am running 2gb of 800. but i will try a Bios Default.

Earthdigger said:
Drivers are upgraded. no overheating at all. This problem occurs when overclocked and normal state. besides my mobo and 8800gt come overclocked
the ram thing sounds like a plan. but mine can have 800 667 and 533 on it. And i am running 2gb of 800. but i will try a Bios Default.

I had similar problems i had to underclock my ram from 800mhz to 750mhz as the Motherboard was 1.8v for the ram and the ram needed 1.9v even when i upped the voltage to the ram i still had the problem so it remains underclocked until i get some Ram that's 1.8v, something to be aware of.

Yes, also something to be aware of is voltage as mentioned above ^^^. Make sure that the ram is getting enough voltage to be able to run at the speed you set it at, and timings you run at. Also it is best to look at the manufacturer's website, since they mention how much voltage is safe to go up to. In my case because I'm still with DDR1, I am currently using 2.9v, and have been able to overclock my RAM to 460Mhz with tight timings.

EDIT: I also had problem with my RAM, especially when I upgraded from 2GB to 3GB about a week ago. In order to solve it, it took me quite some time until I got it running perfectly stable at a fast speed and tight timings. I suggest you do some research, as around here, and fiddle with the RAM settings, making sure that you do not mess anything up in the process. I have discovered quite a lot about RAM settings, and to be honest it really makes a difference at what you set them to run at. I am not sure what make of memory you have, but you should not have to ever underclock your RAM under any circumstances, except if you are overclocking or underclocking, if you want stock, then the RAM should always run to its designed safe maximum speed; in your case 800MHz.

^^^^
For Darth_Terra1, do you still have these problems with having to underclock your RAM. If you do, then try upping the voltage to 2.0v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back