TechSpot

Game Cube won't read disks

By rditchen
Aug 6, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For about a year I 've had to spin the disk before I close the lid on my game cube or I'll get the "disk cannot be read" message. Now it won't read them at all. When I open the lid the disk is never turning. I'm trying to find out what the problem is and where to get the parts.
  2. MalachiAD

MalachiAD Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

Hi. I also own a Gamecube and have been modding consoles for people for a while. This sounds like the motor in the lens fixture has failed. If you have a soldering tool of some sort, you can use any motor from a 32x-56x CD-Rom drive as long as it matches the exact size as the motor in the GC. - I usually pull them from either a Sony 32x CD-ROM or an eMachines DVD-Rom out of the 533id eTowers.

If you're hesitant to replace it (I've noticed a lot are), you may want to take it to a shop or have someone talk your through it. A good shop would only charge something like $15-$20 max for something like this, but ask them first. (Its usually about the price to just buy a GC Repair kit.) - If you do that and the disc still doesn't read, its a lens/fixture issue. Thats something I've never succesfully changed out without having to reopen the machine and refix.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.