TechSpot

Game devs go hands on with Steam Controller, here's what they think

By Justin Kahn
Sep 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Valve announced its Steam Controller as the final part of its 3 stage announcement last week. Reports came in over the weekend that a number of developers have been hands on with a prototype version of the controller for some...

Read more

cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. SantistaUSA

SantistaUSA TS Rookie Posts: 50   +8

I can't wait to give it a shot, the looks is really weird for what we are used to, but as long as it easy to use it that I'm all for it.

cliffordcooley and SalaSSin like this.
  3. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,273   +152

Same here, Looking forward to trying it out for myself.

Was thinking about starting a steam greenlight for my new game " nipple simulator" and this seems like just the right tool for the job.

Sorry :)

LukeDJ, SalaSSin and SantistaUSA like this.
  4. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

I've been contemplating this controller over the weekend (I know, I need a life), and I'm torn... I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll be a bit tighter accuracy for the controls than typical console style gamepads - and some of the "hands-on" reviews have backed this up. But, whether it will be easy for PC gamers to use is going to be another matter entirely. As I was running around in Borderlands 2, I was observing how often I perform multiple-finger maneuvers on the w-a-s-d side of my keyboard. During a run and gun firefight, I'm often strafing, moving forward, reloading, popping a grenade, jumping, maybe switching weapons... And Borderlands 2 is rather tame compared to some of the more hardcore FPS games out there. So, how will that level of control apply with a thumb pad and very limited finger buttons? If you have to lift your thumb off of the pad, you have just removed your fine control in the heat of battle...

My worry is, if this gamepad becomes popular, and compatibility gets pushed hard, we'll see a general dumbing down of PC game controls. I would hate to see PC game control schemes becoming just straight console ports. One of the Saints Row games was like that (2 I think?), and it made it unplayable for me with mouse/keyboard. In my (and many other gamers') opinion, the mouse/keyboard control is one of the aspects that makes PC gaming a superior experience. Hoping we don't see any of that lost along the way here.

5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

I cannot wait to get my hands on this!

6. Actually, the ultimate FPS experience was Resident Evil Wii edition. Light gun + numchuck is unmatched in zombie killing goodness.

7. Acespaces

Acespaces TS Member Posts: 75   +6

Quality looking controller, hope its made of quality material to make it feel good in the hand.

8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

I'm still not convinced that friction burn won't be a problem.

9. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

I'm with St1ckM4n. After many Tekken blisters and sores I'm not convinced a touch interface for left and right sticks is the way forward. With Leap montion controllers, Kinect and Sony's own eye/camera setup is this really the way forward?

10. Ravey

Ravey TS Rookie Posts: 20

This is the part that bothers me the most:

"We primarily develop our games for mouse and keyboard, and when we think about adding gamepad support, it's a matter of mitigating loss of control. For instance, WASD+mouselook excels over a traditional gamepad for precise camera control or when navigating complex user interfaces. The Steam Controller largely does away with a gamepad's weaknesses there."

That last sentence above is key to what the developers really think. It might be just me being pessimistic but the word "largely" used in this context reminds me of words like "almost" and "nearly". So it almost does away with a traditional controllers weaknesses, but not quite.

The whole review is based on how Valve's controller is better than traditional controllers. Not how it's better than a keyboard and mouse.

I'm sorry Valve but if you want to win over PC gamers, you need to build a controller that will compete on an even level with a traditional keyboard and mouse and not a traditional controller.

The next step is to borrow a few unbiased pro gamers to go head to head. Controller vs KB + Mouse

11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

[​IMG]
    Sorry, couldn't help myself. lol

They are releasing a controller for their console to be used in the living room. The sole purpose is not to replace the keyboard and mouse but to be more accurate than the traditional controller for console use. But since most Steam games are designed for PC, the controller needs to be able to natively replace the keyboard and mouse functionality.

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

If it becomes a problem for me I'll just coat them with cyanoacrylate. :/

13. SantistaUSA

SantistaUSA TS Rookie Posts: 50   +8

That's is first concern that came to my mind, I remember playing SF2, Mortal Kombat etc back in the day and sometimes I would get friction burn, I wonder how this one compares.

14. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

KB + mouse will always win and you know it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.