Game freezes on brand new computer regardless of OS

MuslukcuHamdi

I have a brand new computer which is much capable of doing what I ask for. Unfortunately, it kept freezing very early in games. I tried BF3, shogun 2, and dead island. The outcome is the same. At first I thought it might be because I was using a win8, and it had some compatibility problems. Then I installed win7 ultimate after deleting everything on C:, applied all updates for windows and video card drivers, then tried dead island again. You know what, it crashed on character selection screen! Then it also crashed in the end of my first battle on shogun 2. What I mean by crashed is that it is totally frozen and I can't even do ctrl-alt-del. It leaves the only choice to me as reset... So I guess it is not because of the OS, so I would definitely appreciate if you can help me with this. Here is my build;

• G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) DIMM (RAM)
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler 120mm (CPU Cooler)
  • AMD BullDozer Eight Core FX-8350 4.0GHz AM3+ Processor (CPU)
  • LG GH24NS95 24X SATA Internal SATA DVD Writer
  • Sapphire HD7870 XT 2G GDDR5 PCI-E Dual Fan Video Card (Graphics Card)
  • Cooler Master K380 Mid Tower Gaming Chassis
  • 21.5" Samsung LED Monitor (LED)
  • FSP Aurum 600, 600W ATX PSU, Active PFC, Black
  • Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 Motherboard, Socket AM3+, AMD 970, 4xDDR3, 2xPCIe-16, 2xPCIe-1, Firewire, RAID, ATX

Any help you can provide is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

There are many things that can be the cause of this. I first thought it was the GPU, but as I read on, I think it could be either a RAM, temperature, or HDD issue. It is most likely a RAM issue.

Another issue could be overheating, but since the games crash basically instantly, it doesnt seem to be an issue. Just to make sure, can you download RealTemp and tell me temperatures on the CPU? Also, download GPU-Z, and tell me the GPU temperatures (sensor tab of GPU-Z, under "GPU Temperature").

Most likely cause: It could also be bad RAM (this is the most likely reason). Download Memtest86, put it on a flash drive, and boot into it. Run Memtest about 5-10 times and tell me the results.

[FONT=verdana]I guess I found the reason, not the solution yet.. My graphics card has 2 fans, and one of them is not spinning no matter how much I force it. And when I force it, it heats up very quickly, I've seen 71 C in like 5 secs.. Then closed the game ofc. Do you know if I can solve it? That's a brand new video card, I doubt if it is malfunctioning etc. [/FONT]

I would talk to the manufacturer about replacing it. If it came flawed, it is their responsibility to fix it.

I solved the problem mate, thank you anyway. It was just a cable preventing one of the fans of GPU to spin. I removed it and it is ok now. I just had a warning of CPU reached 65 C after couple of hours playing. But no more freezing and anything. I let the computer rest for some time, now it is all good.

You should buy an aftermarket cooler like the hyper 212 Evo. The stock cooler is not great at dissipating intense heat. The cooler your CPU, the longer it lasts.

Dude, I already have that one. I guess it had some problem with installation on the processor. I sent it to the guy who assembled the computer. Let's see what he says

Ok now we solved the problem a bit. He forgot to plug one of the case fans, just in front of the HDD. Then it was still heating up a bit, I removed and put the cooler carefully by reapplying thermal paste, running the fan in turbo speed, and also correcting a mistake the assembler has done in fan directions. It is much better now, but still if I play BF3 in high graphics for 2-3 hours it heats up again. I have just ordered another fan to increase air flow. But I really have no idea left if it still keeps heating up...

Ok now we solved the problem a bit. He forgot to plug one of the case fans, just in front of the HDD. Then it was still heating up a bit, I removed and put the cooler carefully by reapplying thermal paste, running the fan in turbo speed, and also correcting a mistake the assembler has done in fan directions. It is much better now, but still if I play BF3 in high graphics for 2-3 hours it heats up again. I have just ordered another fan to increase air flow. But I really have no idea left if it still keeps heating up...

Wow, stupid mistakes on the assemblers part. What case do you have? Good case ventilation when running open shroud GPUs is vital.

Yes there is one in just opposite of the CPU cooler. The case has another spot I can put fan, on the side where the transparent part is present. I will put my new fan to there, hope it helps. In fact I wanted to put that fan to the opposite side of the CPU cooler, so that I could have a good pull/push effect. Unfortunately I have no idea how to install my case fan onto there, since I don't have the -extra- holders to keep the fan on the cooler.

If you have a open shroud GPU, put the window (transparent part) fan exhausting. If you have a closed shroud GPU, put the window fan as an intake.

I put the fan as exhausting, and it looks like it is helping. My video vard is sapphire hd 7870 xt, is it open or closed shroud? Do you suggest me to reverse the fan?

Ok cool, thank you! It seems much better now, for most games my temp keeps at around 55 C. I haven't tried the real deal games yet, though

Yeah that's excellent, most GPU's have trouble only when hitting an area of around 80-90 Degrees. At 55, your icy cold especially considering that's load temps.

As for the Vishera FX 8350 hitting 65, that warning is the mainboard Temp from Asus letting you know that its hit 65 degrees, when considering anything, that temp is irrelevant for the most part because it is around 5 degrees higher than what each core is normally reporting (If you compare a program like CPUID Hardware Monitor for instance, it shows both and the cores are 5degrees cooler roughly). But like JC713 said, I would recommend a better after market heatsink for the Chip anyway just to help keep those temps down.

Back