game freezes, used to work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my kids' computer, we've had it almost one year. It used to work without any problems until about 3 months ago. Every minute or so, Lego Star Wars game freezes, will then unfreeze and work fine for another minute or so, somethimes it crashes completely. Usually after starting game, the screen will blank and the game minimizes itself, you can then maximize and it works fine. I've tried everything I can think of: uninstalled game, reinstalled game, virus scans, spyware scans, driver updates, defrag, disk clean, increased paging file size... If I'm using Radeon 9250 PCI, shouldn't the Intel 828656 Graphics Controller be disabled? Maybe one of the recent automatic updates changed the driver settings. Any advice?

I have the following:

XP 2002 Service Pack 2
eMachines T3995
Intel Celeron D8656VHZ
2.93 Ghz
496 MB
Intel 828656 Graphics Controller
Radeon 9250 Graphics PCI

Get speedfan from the downloads section and use it to check temperatures and voltages for any unusual readings.

60c

rik said:
Get speedfan from the downloads section and use it to check temperatures and voltages for any unusual readings.

Thanks for the suggestion. Without any programs running it is about 48C. After starting Lego Star Wars game it jumps to 56C. After playing it gets up to 60C then game freezes and minimizes itself. I've read that the PCI card needs a space between it on the heat side. Which side is that? (Now that I think about it, we started having problems with this computer playing Lego Star Wars when summer was just getting started, we live in Texas and have been having air conditioning problems.)

This is my kids' computer, we've had it almost one year. It used to work without any problems until about 3 months ago. Every minute or so, Lego Star Wars game freezes, will then unfreeze and work fine for another minute or so, somethimes it crashes completely. Usually after starting game, the screen will blank and the game minimizes itself, you can then maximize and it works fine. I've tried everything I can think of: uninstalled game, reinstalled game, virus scans, spyware scans, driver updates, defrag, disk clean, increased paging file size... If I'm using Radeon 9250 PCI, shouldn't the Intel 828656 Graphics Controller be disabled? Maybe one of the recent automatic updates changed the driver settings. Any advice?

I have the following:

XP 2002 Service Pack 2
eMachines T3995
Intel Celeron D8656VHZ
2.93 Ghz
496 MB
Intel 828656 Graphics Controller
Radeon 9250 Graphics PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back