Game freezing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnugen

I thought my old 9800pro was maybe the culprit at first.....maybe was getting hot. I have an aftermarket fan on it already.........opened the case and blew air on it with a fan.....still freezing. Sims 2 and COD2.......afraid to try every other game.....lots there. So today I buy an ATI X800XL AIW (AGP) thinking cooling issues would be gone and games would run top notch. Welllll.......COD2 looks phenominal, BUT it STILL freezes. I have nothing OC in any fashion, bios or software.......I did have my ram set at 1.5-3-3-6 from 2.5-4-4-8 but since set it back to stock. I have 3 case fans so I am thinking heat is not an issue. I've run Aquamark to see if it will freeze it, nope. Dxdiag shows all normal. I updated my mobo chipsets and made sure my dx was fully up to date........and have ONLY the 6.1 drivers back on the system now to see if there was an issue with the TV software......nope. Keeps freezing. Any ideas ?? Oh yeah, with the ram set lower, the PC still booted normally and everything ran......just figured I'd go back to normal and see. Mobo is gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939.........OCZ ram 1g running dual channel, AMD64 3500+ cpu.

Sniff sniff.... I smell a rotten PSU..... ;)

Have you tried running something like "speedfan" to see how your voltages are hanging on?

What make is your PSU, and how many amps on the 12v?

It's a Powerlink (unheard of apparently) rated at 500w. I have speedfan, but I am super electrically challenged. I can plug stuff in, but know nothing else of electrics or how to read them. Can you tell me what to look for ?

Sure, no problem. Here are the two things we need to know:

1. First we need to know how many amps your PSU is dishing out on the 12v rail. It is easy to find out. Open up your case, and find your power supply. It is usually at the very back of your case, and at the very top. There will be a big sticker on it that tells you how many amps it is producing.

PSU is on the top left:
open2.jpg

On that sticker is usually a chart. Look for where it says +12v and tell us how many amps it has listed.

2. Run speedfan, and look for the part where it is listing things like 12v, 5v, 3.3v and tell us what numbers are beside those values. For example for 12v maybe it shows 11.74v, under 5v maybe it shows 4.95 etc.

I can't get into the machine tonight.........late and bed for work has passed by, my bad. I have tried to attach a screen cap of speedfan and the ratings. Hopefully it works.

Is it less than 100Kb and one of these file types:
bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip?

If you can't figure it out, you may have to just do it the old fashioned way and type it in manually.

But first things first. Get yourself some sleep. :haha:

yes and yes.............jpg and 66k. THAT stuff I know about. hehe, ok...will find out more tomorrow night with luck. thanks I should add this has started within the last couple of weeks. The game may go for 10mins........or 2mins. Doesn't seem to be any pattern. The vid card is the only thing changed in the last while and it was after the first few freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back