Game lag problems at certain areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw123

Hi everyone.

I recently started playing KOTOR after getting an upgrade for my PC(new video card, 512 MB RAM added.) and then I got to the Dantooine level. When I'm working on my 3rd trial, the game is extremely laggy and its hard to play. Can someone help me? Any help is appreciated. System specs:

Processor: Intel Celeron 2.60 GHz
Video Card: nVidia GeForce FX5500 PCI
RAM: 768 MB DDR PC2100
Hard drive: 80 GB Western digital model

And KOTOR's recommended specs:

512 MB RAM
64 MB graphics card with T&L support.

I meet all recommened requirements and exceed them.

I also tried to fix the problem while doing the following:

updating the game
checking for viruses.

Is there something I can do? Thanks for your help.

When they list the minimum requirements, they are telling you what you need to have for the game to run, not for performance. The NVIDIA Fx5500 is a lower-end card, and does not run games that well. And, when the game lags, you are probably in a busy area with a lot of details, so it takes the card longer to load all of this. I would get a new graphic card, and do you have an agp slot? The pci slots will most likely bottleneck the card. If you do have an agp slot (4x, 8x), get a card for that.

I dont have an AGP card or slot. Its funny that this is happening because I play Star Wars Battlefront II on HIGH with no lag. Maybe I should update my video drivers?

My computer is an eMachine, and the tech guy said the best compatible card for my system is the FX5500. I'm not going to take the time, risk, or money of getting a new card, installing it, and fixing my computer if it doesnt work. I have never updated drivers, so how would I do that? Do I have to uninstall my current drivers? Is there risk involved with my system and/or my video card? Thanks for quick replies!

sw123

Lie

sw123 said:
My computer is an eMachine, and the tech guy said the best compatible card for my system is the FX5500. I'm not going to take the time, risk, or money of getting a new card, installing it, and fixing my computer if it doesnt work. I have never updated drivers, so how would I do that? Do I have to uninstall my current drivers? Is there risk involved with my system and/or my video card? Thanks for quick replies!

sw123
I think he's telling you that so you don't upgrade (if you upgrade they don't win money, so they want you to buy a whole new pc altogether).

Anyways, only factor I can think of restricting gfx card replacement is your power-supply. How powerful is it and what brand (although I can't image a PCI card sucking up too much power)?

When you get this message, turn your computer off, open the case, and look for the ___W MAX OUTPUT. Reply with the number where I put the _, which should be somewhere between 200 and 350.

Now to the drivers...install your new drivers, and if the installation doesn't get rid of your old drivers, uninstall those. Remember that there is no risk of opening the case of your computer, unless you mess around with stuff in there. The power supply is usually a big box, where the plug goes into. The drivers will not hurt your computer. Although, if you somehow have problems, report back to this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back