gameport won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac_Bug

So I bought a Gravis Destroyer Joystick today (2 axis + throttle, 2 buttons, plug and pray) for 6 bucks canadian. It is labeled 95/98 compatible, so I presumed it would work with no problems in XP.

I plug it in, selected proper 3 axis joystick with 2 buttons...

But it doesn't work. Throttle indicator jumps wildly, so does the joystick x/y indicator, it doesn't appear at all to follow my movements, but at least the buttons work, sort off. Calibration doesn't help, and if I chose custom type and define it myself, then hook it up and run it, I can hear hiss in my speakers, and more often than not, it locks the entire system up if I attempt to run a game preconfigured to use the joystick (detects okay).

There are no hardware conflicts, I'm pretty confident this el cheapo works out of the box but just not very well with the gameport. I've tried reinstalling gameport, the whole sound card driver, upgrading drivers, yada yada. No help.

It's 6 bucks, I'm not sure whether its worth returning, with all the gas it costs me, especially when I managed to run over curbs in a unfamiliar turn when I went to get it :(

It's a Compaq, gameport in front. ESS 1938 SOLO-1, Win XP pro, 1 gameport only. I do have 4 USB, but at this point I'm not sure getting a gameport to USB converter is worth it by a long shot. Plus, I have no games right now needing a joystick... but...

What a waste :/

Originally posted by Mac_Bug
So I bought a Gravis Destroyer Joystick today (2 axis + throttle, 2 buttons, plug and pray) for 6 bucks canadian. It is labeled 95/98 compatible, so I presumed it would work with no problems in XP.

I plug it in, selected proper 3 axis joystick with 2 buttons...

But it doesn't work. Throttle indicator jumps wildly, so does the joystick x/y indicator, it doesn't appear at all to follow my movements, but at least the buttons work, sort off. Calibration doesn't help, and if I chose custom type and define it myself, then hook it up and run it, I can hear hiss in my speakers, and more often than not, it locks the entire system up if I attempt to run a game preconfigured to use the joystick (detects okay).

There are no hardware conflicts, I'm pretty confident this el cheapo works out of the box but just not very well with the gameport. I've tried reinstalling gameport, the whole sound card driver, upgrading drivers, yada yada. No help.

It's 6 bucks, I'm not sure whether its worth returning, with all the gas it costs me, especially when I managed to run over curbs in a unfamiliar turn when I went to get it :(

It's a Compaq, gameport in front. ESS 1938 SOLO-1, Win XP pro, 1 gameport only. I do have 4 USB, but at this point I'm not sure getting a gameport to USB converter is worth it by a long shot. Plus, I have no games right now needing a joystick... but...

What a waste :/

Ha! I'm not laughing at you, but reflecting upon my own personal experience... Never assume something will work. in XP because it worked in 98.. Especially gamepads/joysticks/steeringwheels.. Etc.. 98 and XP are two different animals.

I suggest you go Gravis' website and download Windows XP drivers for your joystick. If they do not have XP drivers, then download Windows 2000 drivers (this might fix it).. But if you just bought it, then I would suggest getting something else.

If there are no XP drivers, this a sure sign of no future support/drivers for that particular joystick and that's a bad thing. That means when "Windows YZ" comes out, it probably won't work at all.

If you cannot find Windows 2000 drivers for it, I think there is a fix for the "random" behavior you are experiencing. Let me know how it goes and I'll see if I can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back