TechSpot

Gamers band together to influence GTA V's stock market

By Justin Kahn
Oct 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Rockstar's latest iteration on the popular Grand Theft Auto franchise is an all encompassing experience, allowing players to go on heists, race fancy cars, steal military fighter jets and play the in-game stock market. Of all those things, you might...

Read more
  2. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +26

If only real life was like this.

Oh wait, it is.
    LukeDJ, St1ckM4n, hammer2085 and 2 others like this.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,040   +739

Bah. I'd much rather chop someones head off for a quick cash injection rather than play the stock market. :(
  4. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,069   +39

BAWSDAQ? is a typo, right? It's BAWSAQ... it's right there in the screen shot of the article...
    davislane1 and freythman like this.
  5. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,069   +39

You cannot buy the gold course any day soon that way... 150,000,000 for it.... got to work the stock market to gain this kind of cash. I havent been using the stock market, and I'm maybe half way through the game, somewhat poorly playing through it.... max a single character has had was about $500,000 it seems like. (yes, I think I've really screwed up some missions)

I'm going to do another play through the game, and see how much I can get using the stock market using some tips from the internet (the real internet)
  6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,955   +902

And this is why I love GTA.
  7. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

Rockstar needs to be influenced into making the PC version...
    PC nerd and H3llion like this.
  8. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 508   +84

Get rich quick schemes always blow up.
  9. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 715   +217

So they thought they could "band together" to influence their SINGLE PLAYER campaigns? Start passing out the Darwin awards.
    cmbjive likes this.
  10. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

One market is only affected by your campaign, but the BAWSAQ was apparently affected by global people. Hence why everyone is confused and irate that it doesn't behave as expected.

Before you say that the percentage of stock owners doing this 'influencing' isn't big enough, it really is ..
  11. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903   +100

Did anyone really thing the GTA stock market in this game was ever going to be influence by the "global" gaming community? That would make the market fluctuate so drastically and randomly it would be completely useless. And if it was limited to Online mode (Max 16 players) its not enough to swing the market in such a way to get massive net gains. So far the only way I've found to get massive amounts of money in single player is, unfortunately to say, by cheating. At first I was hesitant, but now it just makes more sense, it remove some of the purpose to some of the missions, but a lot don't actually reward you with any cash anyway. With "unlimited" funds you can just have any weapon, any car tuned up, and continue on your rampage of destruction.

Forgot to add, the only way I was able to abuse the stock market was when the game purposefully pointed it out, IE after killing certain CEOs stock prices will rise for one company and plummet for another. Switch between all three characters dumping all funds into said stock, complete the mission and voila a 30-60% gain. But this only occurs a couple times, not enough to get the kind of money required to buy some of the properties in game.

12. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

I know of people with $2bil on each char. They pretty much just did the above.
  13. davislane1

davislane1 TS Guru Posts: 1,319   +483

It seems to me that BAWSAQ stocks are only driven by player interactions with the game world itself (buying weapons, ammo, etc.), not the supply/demand of shares in the market. If any of these would-be manipulators had taken the time to test the strategy, they'd have realized the BAWSAQ doesn't function at all like a real market.
  14. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903   +100

You mean used a hex editor + save decrypter and gave themselves $1 Billion and then doubled their money on the stock market. I'd find it hard to believe someone actually sat there dumping money in the stock market, get a 20% gain and rinse repeat all the way to $2 Billion, especially you say it's on all characters and I know of a method of giving exactly $1 Billion to all characters.
  15. davislane1

davislane1 TS Guru Posts: 1,319   +483

If you put the final heist cash into applicable stocks before completing the assassination missions, rolled that into the "special tip" stock, and then put all of that into HAL when it was trading below $1.50, you could have easily made several billion dollars. No cheating necessary.
  16. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

"Effected"... Affected?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.