TechSpot

Games don't work after new cpu, motherboard, and ram

By ducati118
Dec 30, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I replaced my old socket A motherboard and got a pentium D and some ddr2. I'm using the same ati radeon 9600xt and the same hard drive and everything works fine until I try loading up a game. I tryed reinstalling the drivers and reinstalling the games and the same thing happens. I open up warcraft III and the opening video plays through then the menu screen never comes up. Help please I don't know what to do. Also my power supply is only 280watts. Could that have anything to do with the problem?

2. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

3. ducati118

ducati118 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I didn't uninstall the old motherboard drivers because I thought that was taken care of when windows automatically updated everything. I don't know how I would go about uninstalling the old drivers.

4. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

Back up your data first.

load your windows xp cd and enter the install wizard. Choose to Repair your installation NOT Reinstall/Reformat. This will bring your drivers and windows updates back to default or generic ones. Then reinstall the latest ones from the manufacturer's websites.

Read this: http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8356&highlight=windows repair

If you suspect power problems, use this PSU Calculator and input all your system specs and hit Calculate. Add 50W or 20% (whichever is greater) to the amount and that should be your minimum PSU requirements. Note that since you got a dedicated graphics card, check your PSU and it should have at least 18Amps on the +12V line.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.