"Games for Windows" PC problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGutierrez32

This is a very frustrating problem I'm having, and it's happened to me with two separate games (both Games for Windows titles, thank you Microsoft), Age of Empires III: The War Chiefs and Company of Heroes. I will be playing the game and all of a sudden the monitor will go black, as if the screen saver is about to come up. However, The monitor suddenly goes into its standby mode, acting the same way it does when the computer is turned off. I get no more sound, my mouse and keyboard stop working, not even a normal restart will make the picture come back. The only thing that works is shutting down by holding the power button (or pressing the reset button) and booting up in safe mode. Then, I have to restart again in normal mode and I regain full use of my monitor/keyboard/mouse.

Is there a way I can prevent this? I've only had my computer for a couple months and this problem scares me, I have no idea what it could be. Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 5400
3GB DDR2 RAM
radeon x1950 pro 256mb graphics card
Samsung 941BW monitor

Hey i have the same video card! pity i cant use it. Maybe try randomly fiddling around with settings. Or it could be a background program is stealing the mouse.

Get Speedfan from the downloads section and use it to see if anything is overheating.

It's not just the mouse, Calhoun, it's the monitor and keyboard as well. I unplugged them both from the PC while this was happening and when I plugged them back in, the keyboard light (num/caps lock) wouldn't light up, and neither did the mouse. Also tried them on my older computer while it was happening and they all worked fine.

I don't think it's overheating, I can run Battlefield 2 at the highest settings with no problem, and I'm pretty sure that is a more graphics demanding game than Age of Empires III The War Chiefs. To me it has to be a problem with this "Games for Windows" crap.

EDIT: I'm going to try the "Run as Administrator" option in Vista, see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back