Games keep freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnugen

I have started getting freezes in pretty much ever game I have. COD2, Nascar2003, Sims2.........this has not been an issue until last couple weeks. I have ran AVG, The cleaner and microsfot antispyware as well as adaware to be sure I have no foreign things running. My specs are AMD64 3500+, Gigabyte NFS3 mobo, 1g OCZ ram running dual channel, 9800pro with Cat 5.10, and XP home sp2. I have done no hardware changes or added anything significant as far as software. Some games freeze much earlier than others. My system has yet to freeze during normal usage online. Any suggestions as to what I might try??

V

It could be an overheating problem.

First thing I`d recommend is to open your case, and clean out all the dust bunnies etc. Especially from the fans/heatsinks/psu. See if this improves the situation.

Check your temperatures.

Regards Howard :)

I have 2 "exhasut" and one "intake" fans on the system now. I just finished both a 3Dmark and PCmark 2002 benchmarking, neither froze the system, and afterward......my system was 37c. Not hot at all. This was all cleaned out a few months back when U upgraded to this mobo and chip.

Ok. If it`s not heat related. How about psu related?

What psu do you have? Is it a good quality psu? Is it putting out enough power under load for your system?

Take a look at this psu wattage calculator HERE

Not sure of the name on it, but it is 500w. It's been running it fine until lately. I do plan on running most games, but that will be time consuming. Running DXdiag no problems show up. I can't log the CPU temp at point of freezing, as it is solid and have to hit reset to get back in. Is there anything that will log the reasons for a crash/freeze upon happening that will be able to be retrieved after a reset ?? Might be a help. I've not been running any game I haven't been running already. I thought it was the DX9 setting in COD2, but even at DX7 it freezes. Today was the first I noticed Sims 2 did it to my daughter. What other tests can I do to my system to see if it is beyond anything malicious, which it seems is not. Thanks again.

You might want to look in your event viewer.

Right click my computer, and select manage. when the window opens click on event viewer. Look under the three catagories to see if you can find any problems, around the time of the freezes.

It shows lots of red X's. But I can't decipher a lot of what the problems were. Unless it says specifically the path, or the program, I am lost reading all that.

You might want to consider updating your drivers. Including your graphics card drivers, and chipset drivers.

From your symptoms I was sure it was either overheating, or psu related.

But, from the info you`ve given me. I must admit I`m running out of ideas.

Try opening your case and placing a desk fan blowing into your case. If the freezes then become fewer, or longer inbetween, then a heat problem is the culprit.

It looks like it could be cooling. I was playing COD2 for I would guess alomnst 1/2 hr with the case open and small 4" fan blowing onto the vid card directly with no freezing. I took it away, played again and got about 10mins in and FREEZE !! I would assume the Iceberq fan I got for my card is now defective. It was working fine before, a lot better than stock that is. It's still spinning, but I assume at a lessor speed to be effective. I will be sourcing a bigger fan within the week I hope. Without breaking the bank, any good budget fans for the 9800pro that are pretty solid ?!?! CDN funds here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back