TechSpot

Games still slow after video card upgrade

By truemattyz01
Jul 19, 2007
  1. :( :( hi im really quite stuck .. ihave just bought myself a 8800gts which i thought it would be ace to improve my fps in css im a big css source player and play on via all the time.

i know via is hard work at the best of times and all the rest.. but i have a 8800gts oc 320mb my cpu is a 3.4 HT and my mobo is a basic (waiting to upgrade) p5ld2 SE. irealise this is not great oh my psw is an antec 24v 500

but shoudl i really be getting 5-10fps?

on most games best of times i get 35.. benchmark i sometimes get 70-85 aver

but in css and other games i get anything from 10-30 and on css i get 10 fps most times

what could be wrong when i benchmark nvidias latest benchmark tool adriana i get 5-10fps

ive done clean install of vista .. is vista prob ive got 2GB of ram so this should not be it...... i dont know wat else .. a 8800gts should be fine and latest drivers...

why am i getting so much low fps in games .. it should not be this bad it does not seem to improve with everything tourned down either im sure sometihngs wrong

a bit more info

my gpu runs on steady 58-60c on normal mode and 68-75 sometimes 80 when it really hot ...ive also made sure there is no dust etc

my cpu runs at 55c generally i have alot of back ground activites so i think ithis is ok

my mobo is a p5ld2 se i have a vista home edition 32 bit build i really dont know wats rong.. i understnd that mobo needs upgrading but this still hould not produce these results. 20 fps in most and 30fps max

2. truemattyz01

truemattyz01 TS Rookie Topic Starter

the 60-75 aver was foer css benchmark which i am told is a bad score by the way...

3. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,670

VISTA is probably the whole with the MB and processor u have vista is more demanding than XP and that GPU needs more processor as well. and u do not give the make and model of PSU and if the one u have is a cheappy it could even be the problem.

4. truemattyz01

truemattyz01 TS Rookie Topic Starter

the batry cost me 35 quid ... so i need a new one of them too

kk
    thanks alot .... il invest in new psu too now.
    im just about to invest in coasair memory and a dual core 6700 intel..

will my bord keep up with a better psu memory and chip ai know its dual core my

mobo a gain P5LD2 SE

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.