Games won't start or install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kt3mplar

Recently, I began having a problem with many of the games I used to play.
Firstly, Counterstrike:Source would open the loading window, which would quickly shut down, without any CSS to speak of.
Then, I tried America's Army, and it wouldn't work, which is odd. I have played both these games for well over a year and a half. Then, I tried to install and play Thief-Deadly Shadows, and it has the same general type of arrow, where it initalizes, but then it's engine/app promptly shuts down without beginning to play. I can't find any event that could possible have initiated this strange chain of failures...Now it seems, possible, that COD2 is about to start doing the same thing....
I posted about this somewhere else before, and someone recommended that I reinstall Windows XP (I have full owner/admin privileges by the way)....
I have updated ALL drivers, cleaned out all old drivers completely, removed all sorts of suspicious registries, cleaned out my hard drive of latent, unused files, run disk cleanup and defrag...I am this |---|
short of reformatting, but I don't have my XP install disk, so I can't really do that, and it sucks...I wish I could. Does anybody have any suggestions short of full reinstall? I don't wanna do system restore either, if I can help it, but if I absolutely had to, I would. On a separate note, Men of Valor and Myst IV won't install at all, and my internet speed is about 1/3 the speed of RoadRunner's average, despite the fact that I have full bandwidth package.

Also, some games and apps, when I try to install them, give me a 1628 installshield error. Others will restart my computer entirely and give me a strange minidump that mentions winm64.exe or something, but when I run a HD search, it isn't mentioned.

DXDIAG, Hijackthis logs are attached.

You have not mentioned antivirus scan or spyware/adware/malware or running disk check?

cant see HJT log. just dxdiag

Forgot to include HJT log. But, in summary, found no malware or spyware. Can't include it now because I'm away from home. Deleted some registries and stuff like that, safe ones.Anyways....I think I might be able to get a hold of an XP install disc, and system restore or buy a new hard drive and then set it up with XP. A grave loss, that other hard drive. But that's okay. Would this be a good solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back