Gaming company hit with $1 million fine for turning customer PCs into Bitcoin miners

By Shawn Knight
Nov 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A gaming company by the name of E-Sports Entertainment Association (ESEA) has been hit with a $1 million fine stemming from a Bitcoin mining incident earlier this year. The company is being forced to pay $325,000 upfront and will only...

Read more
  2. I wondered when we'd hear of something like this happening but I expected to hear that such a crime would originate from within a corporate ISP or other large corporation with a large IT infrastructure, rather than from within the entertainment/gaming industry. This also makes me wonder how many corporate sysadmins and IT support personnel (outside of entertainment) who are using corporate assets to mine bitcoins and not getting caught/detected...yet....
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Looks to me the company came forward and did the right thing. Why are they being charged? If anything waver the whole 1 million as a deterrent through-out the 10 year probation period.
    Mooseinadesert and gamoniac like this.
  4. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Posts: 600   +57

I think they should have fined the employee since the company was unknowing.
  5. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,159   +198

Being all e-sports fanatics I bet the gpu cluster was awesome :)
  6. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Addict Posts: 292   +68

Just like other industries, companies are responsible for employees' actions when they are on the clock. For example, on the wall street, financial advisors/consultants have cost banks and financial institutes millions of dollars in SEC fines and settlements.
  7. Don't fine ESEA, what kind of logic is that? They have been doing good things for the competitive gaming community, and they clearly came forward to correct the wrong of a single employee. Stupid backwards system.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  8. I guess the lesson is, don't be honest, or you will be fined.
  9. I know of someone who works in IT for a major university that set all the computer laps up to run it in the background. Hundreds if not a couple thousand computers all running 24/7. It happens a lot more than most people think.
  10. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 504   +42

Bit harsh I wonder if they have their own patented T1000 ?
  11. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 939   +244

It just cost the company at least $325K and this is a bit harsh? WTF??
    Dishonest and / or covert actions to the tune of this amount should not be tolerated by any company, in my opinion.

What would you have the company do??
  12. Maybe they should just terminate his employment contract,
  13. Lol it's a reference to the Terminator franchise.
  14. I guess the Employee worked for cheap so they did not bug him. You can bet if he earned good wages they would have watched him like a hawk (crossed with an Owl) and the chances of him stealing would have been slim or none. He would have no need, no reason, and would be a better class of person.

The number one cause of "loss" in a Company is the Owner, or the Employees they hired (if you prefer that explanation). Why do you think many places ask 'odd' questions in a Job Interview (like "What would you do if you saw another Employee stealing") -- duh ! Now there is a hint; do not work there or you will be blamed as last hired first fired.

If you invent something on company time the Company owns your Invention, and so they should take the heat for your stupidity and dishonesty. Some things must work fairly or nothing would.
  15. Soooo the ppl who spend electricity and have wear and tear on their systems,they get nothing from this,charity gets it all??? Are you people fking retarded,REPAY THE VICTIMS
    it's ok to give ill gotten money 2 charity? so I can use this whitewash drug money.? thats ok right,aslong as it goes too charity doesnt matter who I stole it from right,**** those guy's pcs and electricity bill,give it too charity ,thatll make up for this.... fking *****s,should be lined up and shot